cost of being a self employed writer or journalist?

Blade

Blade, I think this would be a Profession Liberale, so you could contact your local PL place and talk to them.   They're more than keen to tell you how much your cotisations will be!  [:)]

I did a 2-hour group session with them, she went through all the various options.

Someone told me afterwards that the running-a-business path is known as the "chemin des combattants".  Be warned!  [:)] 

[quote user="Blade"]ideas appreciated. sorry to both on this self employment issue . just trying to work out costs to see how can keep myself going in france![/quote]

Fact rather than ideas - depending on how much you earn it can vary from a very small percentage, for those doing it for pin money and escaping the registration trap, to somewhere around 60% of what you earn being swallowed up in fees and taxes if you are trying to earn a living. In that case you are a profession liberale, registering through URSSAF. One problem is that many branches of freelance journalism that people carry out in Britain just don't exist in France, so nobody knows in which category to put you.

Definitely a 'Profession Liberale'. You may benefit from the 'regime micro-entreprise' but only if you earn below 27,000 Euros (before taxes) a year. Taxes will be worked out according to your earnings. You can delay them for the 1st year.

If you understand French, have a look at the APCE website www.apce.com, all options are very well detailed.

Note that France's regime is not liberal. Taxes are heavy and cause a constant struggle.

It may be worth looking into registering your business in the UK and running it from France (you'll need a valid UK address for that plus some good accountants as friends).

The froggies

• 4 months later...
I have been trawling the forum to gain some insight into carrying out a small business in buying and selling books in France. My permanent address will be in UK and I had wondered if it is enough to be registered self-employed in UK whilst "trading" in France. Yours is the first reference I have seen to this kind of thing. Can you point me to a source of further information on this?