Register as what....i'm soooooo confused

savvysarthe

help,

My partner and I are moving to Sarthe very soon. I will run the B&B (2 rooms) and gites (2) and intend to have a little farm shop / market stall selling homemade cooking pastes, jams, pickles, eggs and seasonal veg etc. Not a huge business and was intending to operate as a micro enterprise. Do i need a SIRET and where do i get it from?

My partner on the other hand is a qualified roofer, and is looking into registering as an artisan.

If we have what i suppose is two businesses do we pay twice as many cotestations? Do we both have to do a course?

Can anyone help or should i go to the Chambres de Metiers?

Thanks in anticipation

Your partner must certainly go to the Chambre de Metiers - he/she is easy! They will just need to be able to prove experience in what they do.

If you both work, you both must pay cotistations. You will both have SIRET numbers & your own Cartes Vitale.

As for you, some may tell you that a B&B/Gite operation doesn't need registration. I suggest you check this with your local Chambre de Commerce. As for selling food, you need to talk to the Chambre de Agriculture (I think). You could start at the CCI (Chambre de Commerce et Industrie) when you are discussing your B&B!

A micro is a tax regime, not registration. You must be registered and a micro (or registered and a "real" regime, etc).

You should be able to get these on the same siret number, one of you as a conjoint collaborateur if you are making the food products yourself as this is also an artisans activity, this will mean only one set of charges but the conjoint must be involved in some way with the activity of the person conducting the principle activity, in your case the principle activity would be roofing. This could either be physically helping with the work or doing the paper work, answering the phone, running the office etc. This would only apply if you "create" the products for sale NOT the buying and resale of pre-prepared foodstuffs or goods.

Talk to the Chambre des Metiers first and if this would be a suitable route for you to follow, push it!!!

There would of course only be one French pension, but you would both have health cover and a Carte Vitale each.

Chris

I hate to disagree with you Chris, but;

a) The Ch de Metiers would ask why a roofer was selling eggs, especially as the Conjoint was obviously going to be running the business. They would insist that it was a different business.

b) A Conjoint Collaborateur can i) only work 16 hrs per week - total, including other jobs and what's more they cannot undertake any of the actual work for which the registrant is registered; She may answer her roofer husbands phone, or keep his books, but she cannot hand him tiles. If the roofer was registered to sell chicken's milk, she could count the chickens, but not actually milk them. etc etc.

CC's are meant to be the home-keeping wives of Artisans etc, to allow them health cover and a pension in their own right, without actually paying.

My husband had to register with the Chambre de Metiers to start his artisan business (Enterprise Individual) and this is what we discovered:

We had to take a six day course (which goes over all the various aspects of running a business).  This obligitory before you can actually register.  I understand the length and price (ours was 197 euros) of the course varies from dept to dept.

If wanted to help out with the business in any way at all, even answering the telephone to take a message relating to the business then I had to attend and complete the course too.  I  had to register at the same time as my husband as a Conjoint Collaborateur.

As far 16 hours working time, we were told that this relates to work for other people outside my husbands/the family business.  At the course, they said I can work as many hours as he does (if I wanted to!) within his/our business and all aspects too.

If I wanted to start my own business (at a later date) I would need to register in my own right as artisan and not a C.C.(as this was not an issue for us we didn't persue the taxes, etc. relating to this) but they did say I did not have to take the course again to enable me to do this.

One point, as far as I am aware if you register with the Chambre de Commerce you can have a number of differnet businesses under your name (not sure if this just confuses thing though!). But as quite rightly mentioned before, you do need to register as artisans for the types of work you intend to do.  We found our Chambre de Metiers very helpful, but if you have a local business centre near you (Agence Pour la Création d' Entreprises) they can help you with business plans and contacting the correct people to get up up and running.

We have found a book published by the Chambre de Commerce Francais de Grande-Bretagne called "Setting up a Business in France" very useful and quite straightforward.  We bought it from a Viva la France exhibition a few years ago but their webiste is www.ccfgb.co.uk (according to the front of the book).

Hope this helps.

Well it seems that we do indeed disagree totally, as I know several people who are doing just what I have posted and have done so myself with my wife. The two people must share part of the main activity.

""CC's are meant to be the home-keeping wives of Artisans etc, to allow them health cover and a pension in their own right, without actually paying"".

This is completely wrong, nothing to do with home-keeping wifes, in fact it can be the woman with the principle activity and the man as the conjoint, any pension for the conjoint is made under a voluntary system if wished and is not obligatory. It's a work arrangement.

Don't know where you are getting your info, check it out with the Chambre.

Chris

[quote user="nicktrollope"]

I hate to disagree with you Chris, but;

a) The Ch de Metiers would ask why a roofer was selling eggs, especially as the Conjoint was obviously going to be running the business.

They would insist that it was a different business.

[/quote]

The reason why is non of their business, and he can register at chambre of commerce for 100 euros and sell whatever he wants, whenever he wants.

Can see all those artisans wifes queing down the local metiers office for the "stage", I dont think, ha ha ha