property use issues

shimble

hello i am wondering if anyone can advise me i am considering using my home in france as the base for a business whether micro enterprise or sarl or whatever im not sure however my question is this

how can i protect the property and land should the business fail ie can i limit the liablity of any business failings to just the business or do i risk involving the property should the business have financial problems anyway if anyone has got any ideas please get back to me enjoy

Oh dear, you don't sound very optamisiic; not a good idea starting up something which you think may fail! Anyway, here's a website (you'll have to cut and paste) which explains some business setups and their liabilities. It may help a bit.

http://www.apce.com/index.php?rubrique_id=300000112&type_page=IL&pays=1

Good luck.

after running a successful busines here for three years i am confident but in case you hadnt realised france is becoming more and more difficult and is increasingly adapting the american attitude of im not happy so im going to sue

so my concerns are reasonable as the outright owner of the property can i rent the property to the business which is free of debt and in the red thus keeping the business and the property seperate if youve had any dealings with the french authorities and administration you should no that it is never black and white so if anyone else is in this situation can they advise me

You can set up your primary residence so that it is protected in case of being sued for a business issue. You need to go to your notaire to do the paperwork. Mr. Possum probably remembers what the technical term for this is, and I will ask him when he gets back after lunch.

PG

[quote user="PossumGirl"]You can set up your primary residence so that it is protected in case of being sued for a business issue. You need to go to your notaire to do the paperwork. Mr. Possum probably remembers what the technical term for this is, and I will ask him when he gets back after lunch.

PG
[/quote]

"Declaration d'insaisissabilité" - there, I said it first!

Notaire will sort, will cost you about 500€

ill answer my own question apparantly i can set up a "societe civil immobilier"   for the property after which i set up the sarl or eurl as a seperate societe. the sci rents the property to the business therefore protecting the property. i learnt this today talking to a friendly comptable ive not heard of what your talking about so if anyone has anyexperience of this or you can give me some more info on the other suggestion it would be appreciated anyway thanks enjoy