Hi - I'm new, and nervous about moving to Bourgogne

Mr C

Hi

I've been reading this forum for a while, and I'd like to say thanks to all the people that have helped me out without knowing it.

My family and I and very seriously looking at moving to Burgundy (58) but there is just one thing that is niggling me...

Will one of us be able to work?

We have two daughters, 7 years and 18 months...  so must be able to keep them! 

I will do anything, and I will look hard for it...  but is there really anything to work at in rural Bourgogne?

I don't have an issue with language, but my wife speaks very little (although she understands plenty!).

I am now a driving instructor, which I know I won't be able to do there...  my wife is a qualified hair-dresser...

I can push a broom, milk cows, write web pages, wield an axe, roof a house, things like that...

Thanks in advance, and I'm sorry that I know this has been covered before, but I really want to be able to get a response to MY question, and show my wife what you guys think.

Cheers

Andy (and Karen)

I don't think we can really answer that, without knowing exactly what you may be prepared to consider. Work is very short in rural France, even for the locals. But I think you know that. You stand a better chance if you speak decent French. But I think you know that too. You really need experience or qualifications which the French can recognise. That's another thing I think you know.

If you are prepared to take temporary and/or seasonal work, and are not too fussy about what you do, then you should stand a very fair chance, but of course it won't be continuous work.

Perhaps the best idea would be to not commit yourself to moving to France at this stage, but let your house in England for, say, six months to a year, and rent a place in France. See how it goes. If you find enough work to show that you can move here permanently that's great - if not, then you have not really lost anything but will have gained a lot of knowledge and an interesting experience.

Glad to see that you are not just contemplating moving to France with next to nothing and assuming you will either get a job or be able to live off benefits, as some people do.

Have a look at the anpe website.  It will give you an idea of the sorts of jobs available, but in our region (Champagne) I applied for 86 jobs in two months and had 82 letters of rejection and 4 no replies.  However, I did get work at one of the places I wrote to 6 months later.  I think the main reason I got the job was because I enrolled at the local afpa, and I think the place I eventually worked for asked them if they had anyone who would fit the role.  Although I was fluent in French I dodn't feel confident in writing, so afpa gave me written french courses.  Supposedly I could now study at Uni in France, if I wanted to...

We are returning to England for three yeas, for my husband to train as a nurse.  When we come back in 2009 he will be armed with translations of his new qualification and that it can be used in France.  If your wife wants to do hairdressing she may be wise to see if her qualification is acceptable as a CAP or BEP in hairdressing.  If she could show equivalency she should walk into a job.  It's the same with any of your qualifications.  They are similar to NVQs.

But, don't give up.  We are loving it here, and I don't really want to return to the UK at all, it's just that I do want to see my husband from time to time!

M

Hi Mr C

My wfe and I moved to 58 in April last year with the promise of work from an established company who advertised for teams to work in the region under their umberella. After a few months we decided we would be better going it alone and we now have  a client base which is more than enough for the two of us. Our main business is looking after holiday homes,gardening, cleaning, and small DIY type of jobs. Anything big is left to the professionals. There is more than enough work in  the area and if you are handy at that sort of thing it won't take you long to get started. If you are skilled in roofing then there is enough work to keep you going and I can put you in touch with a builder who is in despirate need at the moment. You will of course need to register as a buisness and there is ample help for you to do that. I think the advise regarding testing the water is good but if you are determined  you will be OK. If you want to contact me direct please do so and I can give you more infomation.

Redcap