plasterer/labourer anything

POTBELLYCAT

Moving to St Livarde Sur Lot in jun/july this year with my wife already have a house but looking for full/part time work as Plasterer/Labourer

in and around the region.Or gite house manger as a husband and wife team. My wife is a qualified in Swedish massage and reflexolgy work must be legal.....

Try signing on with all your local temping agencies - Manpower, Adia etc. It's a good introduction to see how the french work - long lunches & no tea breaks!

Prepare your CV in French first and keep calling them to tell them you're available. My OH found work labouring/roofing work this way. It wasn't good pay but better than nothing and he was in the system. They also pay extra sometimes for lunches, travelling etc. They also give you boots, gloves etc if you need them. The longer you work for them the more bonus' you get. However, if you're a plasterer I'm sure you wont be short of work - depends on whether you want to be self employed or to work for someone else.

BTW my french neighbour is a masseur, fully trained in US, and she can't afford to work here legally as seems most  are self employed and charges are too expensive. She works on the black - word of mouth - though the work isn't regular.

Good luck

• 3 weeks later...
Hi.

If you can plaster properly then I'd advise putting a small ad in the local rag: could lead to private jobs (be very careful though - maybe look into the cheque d'emploi scheme thingy) or maybe they'll be some local bulding firms looking to subcontract: you never know.

Get into the local cafe and make contacts: everything's done on word of mouth.

You've got a trade - that's a great advantage!

Best of luck.