Pool Terrace

We have (last week) had our swimming pool installed.  Looks great!  Now need to get the terrace completed.  We have opted for a 2.5m terrace all around (pool 8m x 4m) and wonder if anyone has recently had a job done such as this.  Trying to work out roughly how many euros will be needed!  The ground needs to be built up slightly too at one end as the garden is not level.  We have been quoted approx 12,000 euros inclusive of all gravel, sand, cement, tiles (which we chose at 20 euros per sqm) and labour.   Does this sound like a good deal??  We are in the Var region.

I am in the limousin and have been quoted 70 euros a metre  plus your materials on top, I have just had 50 metre of slabs delivered including 3 ton of sand and it came to £500. so working on yours being 70 metres I think you are being ripped off.Have you tried contacting people who put in fosse septics as they usually do ground work.You really  have to get a few quotes, but it is not always easy to find people.Incidently I got my slabs and sand delivered from castorama.I hope this helps.Good luck.

My late-night calculations say 85 sq metres. For €12k, that's roughly €140 / sq m.

I've just paid €32 / sq m for laying tiles (but indoor and he was cheap), add your tile cost of €20 and (say) another €10 for cement etc. It does sound pricey, but you may need to add a bit because you're in the Var. Even with topography, geography and TVA though, you'd struggle to get much past €100 / sq m.

Tell them to sharpen their pencil and / or get another quote. For that sq mtrge, it's worth a few '000€. 

• 2 weeks later...

We just bought a cheap cement mixer from Brico Depot and built our own, no previous experience and it looks fine. That said you have to be quite strong just to lift and carry the flags. As the pool could not be sunk into the ground completley because we hit a spring we in fact had also to construct retaining walls 1.2m high with 2 steps up from lawned area, which involved an awful lot of earth shifting and leveling but the plus side is the labour cost not a euro and very satisfying, took the two of us about a month but it was February so we were rained off quite often.Not everyones bag I know but its not difficult.I would post a photo if only I knew how!