I've done i!!!!!

Charlotte3

Hi Guys,

I thought I'd let you all know that at long last I've got a contract CDI!

I'm so pleased with myself because not everyone at my work has one. As you know, I'm the only woman working on site and also the only foreigner. I've spent the last 2 years working on minimum wage to prove my qualifications because I have nothing on paper that is acceptable to the authorities here. I have also had a lot of discrimination against me for the above reasons, so this is real poke in the eye for certain of my colleagues!

My patron says that it's because he doesn't want me to work for anyone else and he has great plans for me! (being a woman I'm a little worried by this... only joking!)

While I am chuffed to bits and  (rarely for me) really proud of myself, I was a little taken aback to find out that almost all of us are on little more than minimun wage, no matter how well qualified!  I now find myself in charge of the decorating contract for a very large municipal contract, very high profile locally, while being paid buttons. It's sop different from Britain, where I would now be on serious money!! Actually, my team partner, who has worked as peindre en batiment for 15 years only takes home 28 euros more than me per month.I have expressed my disappointment to my colleagues who have told me that if you want extra money in France, you have to work overtime or else on deplacement, your boss won't pay you a decent salary just for doing your job well.

Oh well, c'est la vie!  I'm still proud of myself though, and if I can do it so can you!!!!

Aly

Well done Aly - it really is difficult and you've done it!  Bit miserable about the pay though isn't it.  My OH tries desperately not to mind that he is paid less as an electrician than our teenage nephew is paid for pushing trollies round Sainsbury's car park - but like you we're very proud he has CDI.

[quote user="Cerise"]My OH tries desperately not to mind that he is paid less as an electrician than our teenage nephew is paid for pushing trollies round Sainsbury's car park -.[/quote]

It's the undocumented part of life in France - one is so ground down that one becomes grateful for crumbs from the rich men's tables. [:)]

Well done on getting a job! [B]

Hi Katie,

How am I viewed by my male colleagues?

Usually lustfully, but thats only by the over 50s!!!

Seriously though, now that I have my new contract everything's fine. I'm called Tante Alice by the young ones, and treated as an equal by the older guys.

Before though I had problems with some of the younger guys, particularly the died in the wool country types who felt that a woman shouldn't be trying to do a mans job when she is obviously pyhsically inferior!

I had to make sure that I did everything as quickly as them and without showing them that some things nearly killed me! Manys a time I came home at night in tears of tiredness and frustration, but I'm very bloody minded and just wouldn't give in.

I also go out of my way to be feminine...I always wear makeup, have my hair done, and wear a feminine tshirts and fleeces. I wouldn't give them the pleasure of appearing unfeminine or throughother, and it used to really wind some of the more chauvinist guys up. Now it just amuses them and they even have a grudging admiration for me.

I  know I've achieved this by sheer hard work and determination, but I feel very privileged to be in this position...long may it continue!

Well done to everyone else who've succeeded as well,

Aly

Your story made me smile.  I'm a bit of a closet builder and love nothing better than to work on site. I used to be an interior designer in the UK and sometimes still undertake projects.  The thing is, I can never resist getting involved!  I love it.  Like you, I don't want to loose my feminity and I've also come across some men that just can work me out.  Some really like it and others treat me with contempt.  Frankly, I don't give a damn!  By the way, I've been trying to find a pink fluffy toolbelt.  Any ideas where I may find one?

You too, eh!

As a qualified interior designer of many years standing I find it hard that here it is ANYBODY but an interior designer who decides whats what, but then that's France!   It consantly offends me that when I ask who decides the various colour schemes I'm told   "Oh thats the boss again!" The concept of interior design is completely lost on Mayenne Man!

Having said that, I love my work....it's nice not to have any great responsibility, given the wages here!!!!

On the subject of pink fluffy toolbelts, you find the fabric I'll run one up on my sewing machine.  I've recently been wondering, given the number of women involved in building trades now, do you think there's a market for pretty tools?  Personally I think I could be on to something. (Actually I am serious!)

Aly 

Definately! I'd buy them (or maybe drop heavy hints that someone should buy them for me). I found a pretty pink tool set somewhere but they were rubbish quality, barely better than toys really. And I am constantly disappointed that Belinda (the concrete mixer I got for Valentines day 2 years ago) is such an ugly orange colour!

Congrats on your job too!

suzi

www.patiras.com/trinite.htm

Thanks for offering to do me a toolbelt.  I could do it myself, just being lazy I guess.  As for tools for women, I think that as long as they were really good quality, I think there would be a market for that.  I know you can already get gardening tools with pretty designs on so why not building tools.  Personally, I don't want to look like a bloke when I'm on site but I do want to do a good job and inferior tools just won't do it.  I'd say go for it, great idea!

[quote user="herbie" Personally, I don't want to look like a bloke when I'm on site but I do want to do a good job and inferior tools just won't do it. quote]

Exactly how I feel too!

I'll maybe do a bit of research into this!

Incidently, why not paint your cement mixer? (Assuming you have the time of course)

Keep up the good work,

Aly