Carpenter/Joiner.

Twistgrip

Hello everyone. My first post(been lurking for quite a while). I have a question,well,several  actually,but just the one to start with!

I,and wifey,are planning to move to France(prefered departments being 71,58, Burgundy,or 19,23,87,Limousin)not decided which yet,as both these regions have things that we  have a great deal of interest in,not least the canals of Burgundy(we lived on a canalboat for 2 years in GB).

The deciding factor will be mainly to do with work.

I am 57(just!) and have been a Carpenter and Joiner all my working life. 27 of those years was in shopfitting,I've also fitted out canalboats,motorhomes,Park homes and caravans,as well as the usual 1st and 2nd fix, kitchens ect. The question is,what is the situation regarding my type of work in Burgundy and/or Limousin?

Although I've been self-employed for the last 30+years,I don't really mind just becoming an emloyee. I can speak a little French,but when I'm spoken to in French,I understand even less!! So,to start with at least,it would probably be better if I could find an English speaking employer.Don't get me wrong. I have every wish to become more conversant with the language,but the best way to learn a language,is to live among the natives,and that's what we intend to do.

Any comments,good,bad or indifferent,would be much appreciated(I'm thick skinned!)

Hello Twistgrip,

Firstly, I am not in your line of work but my husband is registered as an artisan and we have a french friend who is a joiner here in 46, so I hope I can give you a few pointers. Firstly, learn as much french as you can as quickly as you can - listen to french radio and tele, watch films without subtitles, anything. Even if you don't understand it all it will all go in somehow and you can only benefit.  Setting up as a registered artisan (which is what you would be as a joiner/carpenter) is expensive here. I guess you have much of the necessary machinery so your initial costs may be low, but the running costs mount up. If you can guarantee work where you are moving to then it might be possible, but do check out the competition - it is hard to poach customers, we have found - people are loyal to those they and their families have used over the years. I imagine canalboats here would be mainly a french thing rather than english-speaking, as the majority of english-speakers will retire here. Of course if your french is not up to scratch you would be best placed in an area with many english-speakers, but bear in mind you need decent language skills to deal with the chambre de metiers course, insurance, health companies, tax, advertising etc etc. It is not impossible (my husband set up his business in June 2005 having arrived in January 2004 with no french at all) but it is hard and it is wearing.

Working as an employee is easier paperwork-wise and cotisation-wise but it is not easy to find work. I doubt you would be paid much over minimum wage (I work at this pay and 35 hrs a week brings in around 980 euros a month, still to be taxed) and to be honest all the carpenters/joiners I know would be more inclined to employ an teenaged apprentice. Investigate english-speaking companies in the area you wish to move to before you move there - perhaps you may find one of them looking for workers. 

I don't mean to be negative, just realistic! It is perfectly possible but do not underestimate how hard it can be. We have never regretted moving here but it has certainly not been plain sailing, so do as much research as you can and keep positive!

Good luck,

Jane

Hi Twist grip,

I am a carpenter, age 40. I've also done it all my working life. My thing is cut & pitch roofing which is a shame cos it's different here although I cut my teeth doing 2nd fix.

We moved ( thats my wife and three children) to area 31 about a year ago, we bought a house got the kids in school & got used to our new surroudings. The children are doing well making friends etc our house is ok just needs a bit of work which as I'm a tradesman means it will never get done! We have loads of space, feel safe and I'm not paranoid about tools getting nicked anymore.

But the bottom line is always money, and the amount you have to pay here is heartbreaking( you may as well have a large mortgage at least your house goes up in value) most of the people I have met here who work are not doing great It's a stuggle and It's a shame because It really is nice here maybe a bit too quite at times.

The locals here in our area are very friendly, we and the children have been made to feel really welcome. However, if I had known for sure what I know now I would not of come to France, It,s time to re- train or open a bar for eastern europeans, my brother in law did and is making his fortune. sign of the times.

From one chippy to another, think vary hard, France is great if you dont need to work.

Cheers

Howard.