French Version of UK Limited Company

XLeblanc

We have lived in France for nearly five years and during this time I have worked in the UK and overseas as an Engineer in the oil industry.

I have a very good chance of being offered a job in Paris in the next few weeks. I therefore need to find out how working and being paid in France could be achieved.

I did the mandatory course at the Chambre De Metier to start a business in France. During this course I remember one company structure which was very similar to a UK limited company in that I could pay myself a fair wage wage through the company, pay cottisations and tax based on this wage and then take additional money out of the company and only pay the French equivelent of advanced corporation tax. 

I have the paperwork at home from the course but unfortunately I am stuck in Aberdeen and as such have no access to my notes.

Hopefully somebody can help.

Cheers

I take it that this is a contract job rather than employed ?

I can sympathise with being 'stuck' in Aberdeen BTW, a truly hateful place, a miserable grey city seemingly inhabited with mostly miserable grey people [:'(]

And it's not just me who thinks that [:D]

[IMG]http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/biskitboyo/aberdeen.jpg[/IMG]

Thankfully all I get to see of it these days is the airport and the 10

minute walk from the Thistle hotel to Bristows, it's enough.

Yes it is a contract job. I don't think I would like to be employed in France unless it was working for myself as the pay is not so good.

First time I have been in Aberdeen for a couple of years as I have been out in Kazakhstan and in Stavanger Norway before coming here three weeks ago. One way or another I don't plan on being here long.

Off down to TGT Theddlethorpe for a site visit  and home to France from East Midlands on Thursday for five days. So I am looking forward to that very much.

I assume you work offshore.

I worked for Chevron on the Alba from 2001 until 2006.

Cheers

Small world, you'll know the FSU then which is where I am at this instant. I'm eeking out a frustrating and boring last couple of years before giving it the big heave-ho [blink]

Good luck with the job and understand your reticence both to work for a French company and spend more time in ABZ than absolutely neccessary [;-)]

Ernie **** the telecomms guy? I have spoke to you on the phone when you called to speak to Alan Colenut.

Have you heard from Alan lately as he is in France too.

My forum name came from the Alba as after I relocated to France Mal Sharp renamed me Xavier LeBlanc which is what used to come over the tannoy.

Cheers

To butt into the conversation and answer the original question - the nearest French equivalent to a UK limited company is the SARL or EURL regime. But offshore workers, like seafarers, enjoy special status, and if you can take advantage of this it makes things a whole lot easier, particularly for shorter term contracts. But then Ernie is the forum expert on how this works.

Sadly Will, although it's true that seafarers do enjoy some concessions and as much as I'd like some 'special staus' as an offshore worker employed by a UK company and working in the UK sector of the North Sea then essentially I am treated no differently to any 9 to 5 factory or office worker onshore [:(]

I do admittedly get a bit more annual leave [:D]

I do agree with Ernie about the limited concessions for UK-based offshore workers - the status of those working within UK territorial waters is no different from any other UK worker, as you say. There are a few changes to NI and taxation for those on more distant parts of the continental shelf, but nothing particularly significant. 

I was thinking in particular about potential eligibility for a worker's E106 which I felt could, if handled the right way, be quite a big advantage for those planning to become French resident. I also know that French-resident seafarers on French-flagged ships get quite major concessions, particularly where social security charges are concerned, and although I have no experience of French-employed offshore workers I think they may get similar (though possibly lesser) benefits. However, if the original questioner's work is shore-based in Paris, for a French company, which it appears it may well be, it is probably stretching the point too far to expect offshore workers' concessions.

Whatever the paperwork from the chambre de metiers says, it is well worth getting advice from a good accountant because although the SARL/EURL regime may have certain benefits, there could well be other disadvantages that may not become apparent until it is too late. Things are seldom simple where French company structures and tax/social security issues are concerned.

"However, if the original questioner's work is shore-based in Paris, for a French company, which it appears it may well be, it is probably stretching the point too far to expect offshore workers' concessions."

I have re-read my original post at no point did I ever mention offshore workers concessions. I am an Engineer and as such can work on and offshore aswell as in different industries should I choose to do so. The work in Paris is office based at Stade De France and the project is an onshore project for Algeria. I never got any concessions whilst working offshore so would be astounded if it were possible in an office in Paris.

I merely inquired what the company type in France was called which, is similar to a UK limited company. Home tomorrow so it doesn't matter in any case as I can look up the information myself.

Sorry to have mentioned offshore - however I know from my own work that many engineers in the oil industry, particularly Aberdeen-based, do work offshore, and after your exchange with Ernie it seemed as if it might apply to you, so I mentioned it in the hope that you might be able to either get a worker's E106 if staying British-resident or, if becoming French resident, take advantage of the lower cotisations offered to seafarers. My own experience of French company structures and self-employment in France suggest that either of these would be highly worthwhile on the offchance that you could take advantage of them.

I had already answered the question, I thought, in a previous post in this topic. Apologies, if the SARL (partnership) or EURL (sole trader) are not applicable either - as neither is a 100% equivalent to a limited company though they are very close - then I can be of no more assistance.