Seasonal Work

mr ploppy

I've recently moved to France as what they call an "inactif".  I'm considering doing some seasonal work, let's say picking asparagus, grapes, apples, or working at a campsite.  This would be "proper" work - above board an' all.  Someone suggested that I needed to get the French equivalent of my UK National Insurance number before I can start work.  Anyone know whether this is true, or if there's anything else I need to do?

The French equivalent to a NI number is called "numéro de sécurité sociale" (N° SS).

If you benefit or have benefited from an E form, you already have one, as shown on your carte vitale. When you start work, you will be given a new number, which will be linked to your contributions and your employer's contributions on your behalf.

If you do not have one already, your employer will apply for one when you start working.

Register with Manpower, Adecco, Adia... as many agencies as possible and keep them up to date with your availability.

Your profile does not show which area of France you are in, but there is a lot of fruit picking in the Limousin and the agencies are already looking for temps.

Thanks Clair.  I came here without any E benefits, and no job - really inactif, taking some time off - so I have no carte vitale and no SS number.  Do you think a temporary employer, like a fruit grower, will apply for a SS number for someone in my position, or would they rather take someone who has one already, on the basis that my situation means extra work for them?

• 4 weeks later...
If you intend to be an 'independat' you should register with the RSI, if you are going to work for someone who directly employs you then its CPAM. In your situaiton I think independant is more likely as its less trouble for the fruit growers.

Take a book to read, whatever documents you have and be prepared to wait.