jobs for plumbers

bobster

hi all. im at the early stages of planing to move to france and wondered what qualifications i need to get work as a plumber. i have all the relavent qualifications here in the uk,i am gas safe registered and have 20 years experience.i have started to learn french recently, obviously i would imagine this is very important otherwise i will  dismantling folks boilers when all they wanted was a tap washer.. lol..    Also what sort of daily rate does a plumber get in france. any advice would be very helpful. regards... rob. oh yeah not all plumbers in the uk have loads of dough, im proof of that...au revoir...

We've met people who are plumbers/small builders/gardeners who have set up in areas where there are many people from UK. They seem to be kept busy either doing work for people living there or for those who rent out their properties - useful to have somebody who speaks the language of those renting. Others have joined French companies, who found it useful to have an English speaker for all their foreign customers who can't speak French. After getting all their qualifications, they have later set up on their own; they seem to be doing well. But key to all of these is that there is a big English customer base in the general area.

Good luck, Jo  [:)]

Oh dear, I followed Clair's link from another post and thought I'd finally achieved a smiley - but it's only come up with words!

Good morning - have you looked at French websites regarding plumbers and plumbing? A good test to see if your command of the language is good enough. Are you spending 2 hours each day learning French? Are you going to classes at the French Institute? Have you found a glossary of French and English plumbing terms? Could you deal with a call-centre based in North Africa? Unless your French is up to it you'll be working with non-French customers only. You'll probably be working with non-French customers only, unless you're the only plumber in the village, so to speak.

I don't live in a British part of France - but come over for a month to the Dordogne and meet up with some of the people other posters have talked about re the market for your services - you might even find a business to buy.

How about your budget - how long can you live for with no income from plumbing?

I'm not trying to be a killjoy - but as other people have said on this site, France is a great place to be if you are retired or if you are otherwise financially set up.

Hi bobster,

Good luck with the plan..............no help to you whatsoever, but can you do carpentry as well ????? Can't find a carpenter in my region, limousin (87) who will give a quote and then reliably get back to me with a yes or no..............thought it was a tough world out there at the minute, don't people want work ?????

P.S. May need a plumber in the near future !!!!

Best wishes Mel.