Ready to give up

hannah jenkins

lokked at the french site for info about the card and from what I can work out his card will work in all eu countries. If you type chronoservices ( which is the company who delivers the cards over here)in google and go on their site , they have an english version, that explains it

I have been living here for 21 years now and am married to a French musician.  I myself have earned quite a good living during this time singing professionally.  My French is fluent - I arrived here when I was young, free and single - the best conditions for learning a foreign language. 

We have an 11 year old daughter and about 3 years ago I decided to start looking for a job - I wanted to cool down with the touring and late nights that come with the job of a singer. Three years later I have a two year contract working with children with diffciulties such as dyslexia, autisme, down syndrome - the list goes on.  It's great but not definate and I will have to work really hard to get myself noticed in order to move onto another contract of 6 years when this one runs out.  

While job hunting here in France for all of that time I tried for cleaning jobs, teaching English, translator, tour guide,  working on check outs in supermarkets, all sorts of jobs really but I never got a single reply to any of the letters I sent. 

There is a serious unemployment problem here and the only way I got this amazing job is because I hounded the department of Education Nationale for more than a year with phone calls and letters.  In all that time I managed to speak twice to the lady who eventually employed me.  Luckily for me she agreed to interview me and I got the job.

I don't want to sound pessimistic but it isn't easy getting work here whether you speak French or not.

Agree with all that Twinkle said.  We have French friends (from Brittany, so not from the area we live) who have had real problems finding work.  One is a qualified lawyer with quite a number of years experience, the other a young teacher.  Both are working in a factory, doing shift work on an assembly line, because that's all the work they could find.  Both are French nationals, born in France to French parents.

I saw you're thinking of moving to the dordogne area, how far from Toulouse are you as there are lorry driving jobs there , he could try TFE, and DENJAN, for examples, you never know they might beable to help him for the fimo, Norbert is ok but it means he will probably be away all week so it depends if you both want that. Have you looked into the fimo? The course is mainly a refresher on french regulations and so many hours driving to prove that you understand it (taco etc), If he just has basic french he might beable to just about get through it,

[quote user="hannah jenkins"]Thanks Twinkle. That's exactly why the ideal scenario would be for him to find work now that could continue when we move, or secure employment before we go. I'm not going with an idealised holiday-maker view of the place. :)[/quote]

I wish you all the best - be prepared to stick your heels in. 

if you go on the french job site, www.anpe.fr and put in chauffeur routier at the top as job you are looking for , you need to put in a bit more info but it is basic french so you should beable to do it, you will get a list of jobs and where to apply,

hope that helps you , at least you can start applying, you really have to look into doing the fimo though, phone a place that does the course , they are all over France the one my husband and I did it through is AFT formation, and they will tell you if he has to do the course , how much etc. If you ring a few you're bound to find someone who speaks a bit of english and who can help you. This will give him an even better chance of finding a job.

Here's another thought to throw into the pot ....!

If he has his own truck what about doing pick up deliveries to and from france there seems to be people asking all the time on different forums for people who do this , house removals ... shopping brought from uk to france and people going back again... what do you think?

If he based his busness in the UK I would think all the insurance etc would be done in the UK.. Then you just declare your income for the french tax also his main base of customers would be expats as well ..so once he was living in france he would have more time to pick up the language naturally...Also if you drive it would be something you could do together ...

We have a friend who does this (among other things.) He has a container at Ashford and people get stuff delivered there and he collects it and brings it over. For a charge obviously.

He also stocks up there for his wife's english food market stall. But they do have a registered business here in France.