Small tourist supermarket. What to stock

ericd

The Labour party today announced that it is changing its emblem to a condom because it more accurately reflects it's political stance.

A condom stands up to inflation, halts production, destroys the next generation, protects a bunch of d1cks, and gives you a sense of security while you're actually being screwed.

It just doesn't get more accurate than that.[:)]

[quote user="just john "]The Labour party today announced that it is changing its emblem to a condom because it more accurately reflects it's political stance.

A condom stands up to inflation, halts production, destroys the next generation, protects a bunch of d1cks, and gives you a sense of security while you're actually being screwed.

It just doesn't get more accurate than that.[:)][/quote]

A condom is often used when there is  "a coalition"

eg. joining forces together for a common cause.

[quote user="ericd"]Hi all. My brother is setting-up shop (small supermarket and bar) in Almeria (Southern Spain) and wants to store a few British goods for the tourists.

Could you help him with a list of what you think should be kept on his shelves should you be living/holidaying in the area?

I suggested newspapers to start with.

MAny many thanks.[/quote]

To get back to the original post ,

ericd , have a look here ;

http://overseas.es/aboutUs/1

I must admit to being very bemused when I see the plethora of necessities that modern young parents seem to think are absolutely essential for the wellbeing of their offspring.

For me the neccessities would be, shelter and  nourishment, the first is reserved when booking a holiday, the second nature has taken care of by inventing the breast, other than that love care and attention dont need to be carried or bought.

For those children over 40 years old it is safe to substitute the local food and drink for allaitement [6]

I can only add to the list some foodstuffs that we buy in the UK and bring back to France because it's either very expensive or difficult to get: Ginger Nut biscuits, cans of ginger beer (yes we like ginger), Cook In Sauces (don't knock 'em till you've tried 'em), Worcestershire sauce, Heinz salad cream.

Also puzzle and crossword magazines.

Thanks all for some great suggestions, and not so good worrying comments....

As a Frenchman living in the UK i find all those necessary "I want them when i am abroad" tit bits amazing.....

I would agree with bacon and tea-bags (my wife always takes her own supply of Tettleys when we travel...(however the water makes the tea and unless you bring your own water with you, the quality of that cuppa has never been the same using non-UK water imo)

When we come back from France we bring:

Wine (of course), saucissons, radis noir, lardons, fromages, endives (in season) as they are soooo expensive in the UK, Harissa (very strong chillie paste) for the couscous, sirop de menthe (can't find that in the UK), chorizo (the UK version is made of cardboard), Danette !!!! et praline creme Mont Blanc.....!!!

And who would miss their morning squirt of Marmite ??? the stuff is revolting!

I've just visited this thread and, Eric, you have made me laugh so much, I can hardly type.

Yes, OH loves his Marmite and his baked beans (Branston) and I so agree about the water.  You try making a decent cuppa with this Charente water where the calcaire hangs in it like a milky suspension and you'd utterly understand.

I used to travel widely in my younger days and the first thing I always did on arriving back in the UK was to make myself a cup of tea with fresh (as opposed to UHT or any other type of) milk.

Now, I have more or less weened myself off tea, only has one cup a day, and it's perfectly true that it never actually tastes that good.

Edit:  I swear I spell more and more like a semi-literate university graduate these days!  I meant "weaned" of course.

[quote user="nectarine"]I can only add to the list some foodstuffs that we buy in the UK and bring back to France because it's either very expensive or difficult to get: Ginger Nut biscuits, cans of ginger beer (yes we like ginger), Cook In Sauces (don't knock 'em till you've tried 'em), Worcestershire sauce, Heinz salad cream. Also puzzle and crossword magazines.[/quote]

We don't often use aditional things like cook-in sauces but did use a jar of Pataks Tandori sauce this week. I followed the recipe to the letter and I will be glad if I never am subjected to anything as horrible as that again in my life.

Black bean sauce is good as is Hoi Sin but most of it is rubbish.

Heinz salad cream is the creation of a mad tastless scientist - sorry but I want my Hellmans. We make loads of jams with stem ginger in as it is so cheap over here.

I live in France so I eat what I buy over here except for one thing. Tetley Earl Grey Tea. Always have a years supply. Filter the water - same as UK and it tastes the same.

Di

We bring fennel tea bags (don't drink normal tea ever) - Heath and Heather; I hate others in UK and in France, but do like it with fresh fennel leaves when I can get them. Duchy chocolate ginger biscuits and Cadbury's whole nut for a treat now and again (actually, not true - if there's some whole nut in the cupboard it doesn't last long!). We've a couple of tins of Heinz baked beans in the cupboard and some home made marmalade (not made by me - the gentleman who makes it is over 90!). I do bring down Waitrose washing liquid etc when we come in the car and have lots of room - otherwise I'm happy with the Carrefour stuff. I also bring shampoo in large quantities, as I can't get mine here.

Other than the fennel teabags we've no cravings for UK foodstuffs, but I must admit I was a bit miffed when neither of the big supermarkets had Weetabix in stock last week! It's back in now, so all is well - I did eat a lot of bread and jam and pain au chocolat instead last week, which won't help the waistline! [:)]