Industrial Units

crossy67

The standard commercial lease would be a 3-6-9 duration - ie three years, renewable twice by tacit consent before being renegotiable. With such a lease you can only give notice 6 months before the end of each 3-year term. If you want to stay but the landlord wants you to go, then the landlord may have to pay you compensation. If you are looking for less commitment, you may be able to get a "bail professionnel" - 6 months' notice required to leave at any time. You can also get a "bail precaire" in which you can get out with less notice - but you also have fewer rights to continued occupation. Usually the terms include automatic increases in line with the INSEE building cost index (note this is different to the residential rent index).

Regards

Pickles

That's a great start.

Thanks Pickles.

Any idea on how the costs compare to the UK.  I know, it will depend on the area I am in and size of unit amongst a host of other variables, a ball park figure would be great.  Our old unit in the UK was about £6k+vat pa for about 600 square foot.  How would this compare in France?

[quote user="crossy67"]Any idea on how the costs compare to the UK.  I know, it will depend on the area I am in and size of unit amongst a host of other variables, a ball park figure would be great.  Our old unit in the UK was about £6k+vat pa for about 600 square foot.  How would this compare in France?[/quote]

It depends where you are, of course, but in general, rents in France are lower than in the UK. However, particularly once you are on anything more permanent than a "bail precaire", the lease may contain terms passing on to you the cost of the TF (yes, I know that this is the responsibility of the owner, but in the case of commercial leases it is normal for this to be passed on to the tenant) plus the buildings insurance, etc.

Regards

Pickles