living in france but working in uk

Bette D

hi new here so sorry if its been asked before. we have a house in france and wondered if i wanted to stay in france full time (currently just using for hols) could my husband continue to work in uk and come back every couple weeks. and if so does he pay taxes in uk only. any help very welcome.

thanks bette d

Yes you can.

Your husband needs to tell HMRC that his family has moved to France, and apply for a workers S1

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/ca8454.pdf

sorry you'll have to copy and paste that link.

That is the form you need so that you as his dependent will be eligible for state healthcare in France, funded by the UK via your husband's NICs.

His income will be taxed in the UK but you will have to fill in a French tax return as a couple and declare all your worldwide income, including his UK salary, to the fisc. There is a taxation treaty between the UK and France so his wages from the UK won't be taxed twice, though there may be CSG to pay.

It's not too complicated.

[quote user="EuroTrash"]Even if you're on an S1, I thought you still pay CSG on interest from savings accounts and investments?[/quote]

Absolutely true; though how likely is it that a young couple today are going to have savings and investments ?

Sue

"Absolutely true; though how likely is it that a young couple today are going to have savings and investments ?"

LOL yes quite.

But how do we know they're young? I imagined them as more 'established', shall we say. How many young couples start married life with a holiday home in France, and only one of them working?

[quote user="EuroTrash"]

But how do we know they're young? I imagined them as more 'established', shall we say. How many young couples start married life with a holiday home in France, and only one of them working?[/quote]

You might well be right. I was mislead by the op's post viz all lower-case and chatty fb style.

I must be getting old !!

Sue

Hi everyone, yes we are more 'established'. Wont see 50 again. Had holiday home for 2 years and learning the language by using CDs. Anyone have any learning hints as i seem to remember phrases one week and forget them the next. We listen in the car, van and even when i am cleaning. And is this one of the best ways to learn?

Any advice welcome

Thanks

Bette D

I would say watch french tv  and not with subtitles and if you can, listen to french radio. You don't have to reply to anyone you can repeat words to your heart's content to try and say them properly too.  It doesn't matter if you don't really understand, it is the 'music' of the language that you get used to and end up picking out those words you know and it all sort of follows.

The only channel I know of  that is available in the UK is TV5 Monde on SKY 799 and Virgin 825 (I think). Obviously you need TV5 Monde in your tv package, but I would personally would not be without it in the UK.

I found listening to French pop music far more helpful than listening to French language CDs. Learn to love Johnny Hallyday, Michel Polnareff and the rest and listen to them in the car. You'll end up singing along with a perfect French accent, and it's surprising how many useful everyday phrases and expressions will stick in your head.

Polnareff, yes, I like him, but Johnny, at least he can sing, because when I watch programs with Patrick Sebastien or Michel Drucker, there are people on the stage that simply cannot. I just do not like his singing, at all and never have and I don't like 'the man' either.

Yes, TV5 monde is very good and there are some good programs. A few things I like watching are Envoyé Special which starts at 17h30 BST tonight, and Thalassa or Faux pas Reve which start at 17h30BST on an Saturday evening. And I usually watch the main France 2 news, Journal de 20H but is shown on TV5 Monde at 19h30BST. But there is lots to see.

When you are learning, even the rubbish is fine, because you simply listen to people speaking french and that is a good thing to adapt your ears.