Fax machines & postal redirections

Hi everyone, I have two short questions please.

1. Can a fax machine I use in the UK be used in France ( if we ever get that far with the house buying) or are the signals different?

2. Is it possible to arrange a French postal re-direction service at a local post office, similar to what we have in the UK to make sure that (if house ever goes through) we can actually make sure we receive our post (Bills mostly I assume)?

Desperately trying to keep this short....[:)][;-)]

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help with these.

Re 2) I couldn't get a re-direction to work reliably. A service with a big fee was eventually offered. Dunno if it really works.

BUT the various authorities are happy to bill you in the UK for  french property, good luck.

Re1) I think that has been asked before in the computers and telephone forum. Can't remember the answer, sorry.

[quote user="painterman"]

Hi everyone, I have two short questions please.

1. Can a fax machine I use in the UK be used in France ( if we ever get that far with the house buying) or are the signals different?

[/quote]

It will work (the signals are, obviously! the same), but it may not answer without an adaptor - the UK system uses 3 wires, the French system uses 2. Change the telephone lead (should unplug from the rear of the machine) - leads available at supermarkets or places like BUT & try it, before you get a 2-3 wire adaptor.

I have drawing for an adaptor somewhere - PM me if you want a copy, with an email address.

Hi everyone, and thank you very much for your speedy replies. I will now look into the websites you mentioned too.

Nick Thank you also, and I shall try to PM you for the diagram which will be useful I'm sure.

Thanks again...[:)]