Rewiring query

Aquila

I am moving into my house in Lot et Garrone mid April and have decided to rewire the house while I'm there, I'm a qualified electrician so will be doing this myself. My query is this, is there any ruling which precludes me from rewiring to UK spec, ie ring mains and lighting as opposed to French standard. I am prepared to use French type socket outlets although I would obviously prefer to use UK 3 pin sockets. Current wiring, in my view is unsafe. Any advise would be helpful.

Lee

LAST EDITED ON 11-Mar-03 AT 02:53 PM (GMT)

From what I have heard you may be in trouble with your insurance company if you use British standards and ring mains, like they won't pay out if your house burns down. I should contact them first. It may pay you to have a search of this site as I am sure this has come up before....Good luck...John (Jackie's other half)

Hello there

I am to believe that you must wire totally in the french way...
No UK method or sockets or switches to be used.
You cant cut corners. If you do then your insurance will be invalid if something happens....

Go and Buy "pas a'as electric" It will tell you what to do. Its about 8 euros at the bricomarche.

Good luck

Phil

You should re-wire to French regs which are broadly in line with the new European Regs. As others have stated the cable is different in that all three cores are double insulated and of the same load capability ie the same size. Colours are different. Consumer unit breakers are double pole, socket wiring is radial not ring. There are several other crucial differences.

There is nothing to stop you using certain UK fittings on the french system but this is usually limited to pull switches and pendant light fittings. Ensure that they meet French regs.

It is easier from a future point of view to use French Sockets and buy adapters to change from French to British or simply to change the plugs on appliances you are bringing to France permanently.

Hope that helps. Give us a shout if you have any questions.

Chris

>I am moving into my house
>in Lot et Garrone mid
>April and have decided to
>rewire the house while I'm
>there, I'm a qualified electrician
>so will be doing this
>myself. My query is this,
>is there any ruling which
>precludes me from rewiring to
>UK spec, ie ring mains
>and lighting as opposed to
>French standard. I am prepared
>to use French type socket
>outlets although I would obviously
>prefer to use UK 3
>pin sockets. Current wiring, in
>my view is unsafe. Any
>advise would be helpful.
>
>Lee

I would generally agree with the majority of posts here, but would not recommend using any Uk sourced equipment or materials. It was only a few months ago that Dubna was recommending everyone to use twin and earth cable amongst other things on these forums.

No offence Dubna but I am registered here and know what the consuel expect and what they don't allow. Things do vary of course like everything in France but when in Rome...

regards,

paul