Velux Repair

Jon 1

Your Velux window is almost certainly a double glazed unit like any other window and can be easily replaced. Any local joiner/glazier should be able to measure it and have it made to size. As well as the outside dimensions, the width of the 'separator' must be known (usually a 12mm thick silver colour but can vary quite a lot). The metallic silver separator seal is probably faulty allowing moisture to ingress. There are several different methods of making a double glazed unit but there is no point in boring you with detail. Suffice to say that you need to call in a tradesman.

Doug

Yes it is possible to replace the double glazed unit in your velux window.
Yes it is very easy.
I recently replaced the glazing units on the two GGL1 Velux windows (an older model) that are in my house, which had water droplets between the 2 panes ( turned out to be the seal on the unit had perished).
I ordered the new Velux double glazing units from my local builders merchants `Big Mat`. The size was 98x78. They cost 59euros each including tax. ( it was dearer on the Velux website). Took 10 working days for them to arrive.
With the new glazing units you get new seals and instructions in all languages including English.

To remove the velux window you open it right round and unscrew the 2 holding screws then the glazing unit and surrounding frame easily lifts out.
To replace the glazing unit you simply unscrew the two strips of metal sheet at each side of the glazing unit (4 screws), then unscrew the holding frame (6 screws), a metal surround that holds the glazing unit in and lastly the strip of metal sheet at the bottom of the glazing unit (2 screws). The glazing unit simply lifts out.
All of the old seals on the metal strips need to be removed ( you get new ones) and then the metal strips need to be cleaned with methys.
You then place the new seal on the metal strips and surround.
Lift the new glazing unit in, clean it with methys once placed.
Screw the strips and surround back in place and thats it.

I decided to totally refurbish the frame while the glazing unit was being replaced and so unscrewed everything from the window frame - except for the 2 side hinges. And also removed the rubber seals on the wooden frame itself ( these are only stapled on). then sanded the whole frame with 120 and 240 sand paper and treated it with exterior wood stain. Then replaced all the bits I removed before fitting the glazing unit.This means you can`t fit the new glazing unit for a day or so while you wait for the stain to dry.

I was a bit unsure of how easy it would be before I started but it is very straight forward and easy - the instruction are very clear.
I`m just glad I took the option of fitting new glazing units and not replacing the whole Velux as with the new stain ( chene rustique) and glazing unit ( so clear you don`t even notice it) the 2 velux are transformed.

It is possible to do most of the job on your own but I found getting a hand to remove the velux from the roof and replacing it as well as getting a hand placing the new glazing unit in place made it much easier.
Hope you find it as easy as I did.

• 2 weeks later...