Building work in france.

Archroy

LAST EDITED ON 12-May-03 AT 06:09 PM (GMT)

The France bug has bitten my family hard and after becoming disilluioned with England we are considering the move south. My question is: As an English bricklayer with seventeen years experience under my belt, would I be able to earn a basic living wage, possibly in Brittany?

There are no bricks in Brittany, only concrete blocks on the new build and granite stonework on the old buildings. You won't earn a fortune either I am afraid, as wages are controlled according to your qualifications and the boss and also we only work 35 or 39 hour week. There is a huge shortage of building workers,but to join an established firm you need good language skills and will have to have a medical.You would also need to have your papers as well to proove your residency. If it is only bricklaying you are interested in, the more northerly parts of France tend to have brick buildings more than stone.To get a higher wage other than the SMIC which is the basic rate per hour you would need to have qualifications on paper which are recognised (stupid I know with all your years and know-how) but France lives on its paperwork.Don't forget that the social charges come as a shock and you will have to pay compulsory pension, health,unemployment,social securit and a few more which will be deducted at source by your employer. A top maon would only expect to take home approx 1370 euros at the most per month in this region,but meals are usually paid for the boss.