Renovation House and Barn

Smiff

We are in the process of buying a house and large barn in a lovely part of the Dordogne (near Sarlat) and are just starting up the process of finding an architect to draw up plans for conversion of the barn to gites. The house is also in need of total renovation.
We have done loads of research, know the area and have thought things through very carefully but have suddenly had an attack of nerves at the enormity of total restoration when we are still based in England. Does anyone have any useful tips re. architects, builders, do's and dont's or simply any positive comments on their experience?

IMHO

Don't do it if if you are based in England. The potential for disaster is too great.

e.g. it's hard enough to get artisans to start the job when you are on hand to nag them, cannot imagine trying to do it by long distance phone call. I booked an appointment with our local roof/chimney man - about 5 days notice. No sign of him at appointed time so went looking - he was on another job and very apologetically admitted "I forgot"

suggest that you read a thread entitled "My roof is missing"

John
http://www.iceni-it.co.uk