Wood protection against the sun

Lin

Can anyone suggest a french product that offers wood a good protection against the sun please? We live in the Cantal and our summers are very hot (cold winters too!). Up to now we have been using one of the Sadolin products but we have to bring it over from England and to be honest it isn't lasting very well. I redid 40 metres of hardwood fence last year and it doesn't look as if it has been touched now! I still have another 35 metres to do but feel I am wasting my time. So if someone has a tried and tested product to recommend I would be so grateful!!

lin

Lasure. My joiner told me to use it on my new doors and windows. It protects, lets the wood breathe etc. Can be bought water based or erm, the stuff you use white spirit to clean your brushes with! I bought some which dries in 30 minutes when the latest windows arrived the week before Christmas and it wasn't that warm here to be having the windows open for 24 hours whilst the old type lasure dried.

It is Aqua Stop by 3V3 or is it V33? I never know! Blue tin.

which sadolin woodstain are you using? is it sadolin extra which comes in a yellow tin or classic which comes in a green tin,both are excellent products and i would have thought classic was the better on for what you want. sadolin also do a water based woodstain for external woodwork which lets the wood breath and is also equally as good.

Hi

I learned this the hard way.

I started by using some stuff I bought in Sweden. It was a large almost full tin of marine varnish. Probably works well in -25C snow, but was not good in the sun.

So lesson 1 : Local products are formulated for local conditions.

Then I tried the 6yr Lasure water based product on my shutters and things. Result was pretty amazing. It looks milky in the tin, but dries to a very hard clear finish. And still looks perfect after 4 summers. And we have 300+ sunny days per year.

Lesson 2 : What is expensive in the short term can be good value.

Peter
http://tlp.netfirms.com