Kitchens - Ikea or Castorama?

zeb

Hi - we are now at the stage of planning and buying a kitchen - yippee!

Has anyone out there bought the Varde kitchen from Ikea in Bordeaux or Nantes? Pros and cons please?

Is buying from Ikea in France a better experience than buying in the UK? I don't mean I want to go to the UK to buy it but friends had huge problems in Wembley getting everything they needed for their kitchen (several important parts were out of stock and they had to keep going back there). I really don't want this problem as we are a couple of hours away from the nearest Ikea.

regards.........helen

We paid local professionals to supply and install our kitchen. TVA was levied at 5.5%, instead of the 19.6% we'd have paid on the components if we'd installed it ourselves. That went a long way to covering the cost of the installation.

Plus, they did a far better job than I ever could, they pointed us in the right direction for other artisans we needed, who in turn were top notch and I'm sure we scored brownie points for using a local business.

We have recently bought and fitted an IKEA kitchen in our cottage near Chateaulin. Its not the Varde, but similar in that you have to buy lots of seperate parts and they may not all be in stock when you visit the store.

We bought half the kitchen in IKEA Cardiff (Wales) the largest store in the UK, and half in IKEA at Nantes. We were equally successful at both and the purchase system is the same. Order the kitchen in the showroom area, pick some bits yourself from the warehouse and collect others from the pick up point. At both stores we were lucky that all the main bits were in stock, we just had to wait and go back for a few door handles and drawer insets.

On both the UK and French IKEA websites there is a system whereby you can check whether the item you want is in stock before you set off. (Our trip from Chateaulin to Nantes takes two hours so we don't want to get there and find nothing is available). However, we didn't find this system very accurate. It suggested several things were out of stock at Nantes but we went anyway and they had them all in stock! Great!

The great advantage with IKEA in France is that you can buy goods from the web site and have them delivered. So if you know what you want you don't have to visit the store at all. In UK you can only buy at the stores. There is, however, a delivery charge, between 33euros and 111euros depending on how much you spend and how far away you live.

Try http://www.ikea.fr

DON'T buy anything from Castorama's internet site (see swimming pool-non delivery). We've been waiting 3 months plus for a greenhouse - stated delivery was 3 weeks. They don't return calls or emails, only responded to a recommand letterto a director with more false promises. We're waiting to hear if the Association des Consamateurs get any better results!

Gill & Alan