cleaning floor tiles

Patf

Eddie has just finished laying a huge area of ceramic floor tiles and is starting to clean them up. Is there a solvent for the cement nad grout that is used or should he just persevere with water and a blunt knife?

Too late for you and for me but a friend of mine recommends this process;-
After lying the tiles, and giving them plenty of time to set, pour the grout into the joints then ensure that it is in properly with a squeegee.Cover the whole floor immediately with a thick layer of fine sawdust then sweep it off using a soft brush. He says it leaves the tiles perfectly clean.
For your problem there is a product available in the larger DIY stores but I can't remember the name. Sorry.
Sunshine.

We had a problem with removing grout from a mosaic band and we bought a "dcapant" which was basically an acid to dissolve the excess grout. It is not very strong as although it says use with gloves, I used it with bare hands and a toothbrush for scrubbing. It took a long time but it worked.

We bought it in a local builders' merchants who recommended it as my husband had left the grout on too long!

Hope this helps

Jenny

There is only one foolproof solution to laying and jointing floor tiles:

Fix the tiles using a premium product such as Fermaflex Technic for floors or Firmafix Plus for walls.

Joint the following day using Fermajoint or Fermajoint Color - clean up as you go - ie after about 2m2. The mistake that most people make is to joint too large an area and then try and clean it up.

Forget the other advice given - after you have jointed around 2m2 start rough cleaning using a large squeezed-out sponge to remove the bulk of the excess joint from the tiles. Continue this while you move through the room. Finish by two or three more cleans with a a squeezed-out sponge and clean water and then finally polish the joints with an almost dry sponge.

If you want further guidance on laying and jointing tiles then get a copy of 'Le Guide' from Weber et Broutin which you can pick up from most serious tile suppliers or builders merchants.

Forget dry cloths and sawdust.

Regards,

Bob Clarke
http://perso/wanadoo.fr/grindoux

>Eddie has just finished laying a
>huge area of ceramic floor
>tiles and is starting to
>clean them up. Is there
>a solvent for the cement
>nad grout that is used
>or should he just persevere
>with water and a blunt
>knife?

OMG - clean them as you go before the grout dries!!

Have 85 sq mtrs to do next - have cracked the laying, the grouting and the cleaning but am sooooo worried about my knees!!

regards.....helen