one more question re170m rule

Elensw

Apologies as i suspect this question has been asked before - i have hunted but no luck!

Regarding the rule that an architect is usually required for projects over 170 msq can anyone confirm whether buildings ajoining the building concerned contriute to the total 170m. For example, we have a barn ajoining the house we want to renovate/rebuild. We dont intend converting the barn just leaving it as a barn for storage.

Im sure someone told me that the area of ALL the buildings on the parcel concerned had to be counted whether they were to be renovated or not...i am hoping this is incorrect.

John's advice to check locally has to be the wisest course.

The 170 metre ruling is trying to achieve two things:
a) that private property owners can undertake modest modifications or new works without the rigmarole of architects and engineers, and
b) that 'larger' buildings carrying higher risks are properly designed and constructed.

If your outbuilding is definately not attached to the one you are altering it will almost certainly not be excluded from the measuement - provided you are not planning to join the buildings.

While a veranda, for example is definatelt included as living space, generally speaking a bathroom, WC, or garage is not.
Rob