Ceiling Roses

Peterh

I have got to the stage in my house renovations where I (or rather my father in law) need to fit some ceiling lights. The French ceiling fittings seem inferior to British ones, although at the moment I cannot quite see how they are installed. Is there any reason why I should not use British ones with the junction box included in the rose? If there is, could anyone explain how the French ceiling fittings are installed? Neither of the two books that I have show how to fit them.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Peter

There are two sizes of round ceiling junction box that are fitted in a hole in the ceiling in a similar way to the boxes in the wall behind your switches and sockets.
The larger 65mm size is usually screwed to a noggin, connection is made using a junction block inside the box, and it has a hook from which you can hang your fitting. The smaller one is just a box and can be fitted behind spotlights, etc.
There is a third type, 65mm with hook, that also has a small socket and 3 pin plug. If you want to hang different fittings, over a table say, depending on the time of year or whatever, you can just unhook and unplug!
sc