removing rendering

Le_Jars

Will removing rendering from stone walls improve the damp situation inside? We will probably be getting our house de-rendered in a few months and the mason has suggested using stuff for between the stones (sorry I don't know the terms, but for re-pointing it all) that has some sort of plastic in it. Surely this undoes any benefits made by taking the render off? I don't want to tell him his job though, obviously. I'd just like to konw what should ideally go back between the stones.

Rendering, unless lime, will stop the wall breathing. Are you sure it's not rising damp? Have you got drainage around your house? In any case, it's a good idea to get rid of the rendering. I'm not sure what kind of product your builder was talking about - maybe some additive for the mortar? Everyone I have spoken to has said just use lime (chaux arienne) and sand.

I started derendering and will be doing the same as you put - repointing with a simple lime mortar - at least I know it will breath and it's what everyone has recommended to me. Derendering isn't much fun though I started off which a hammer and chisel things. Soon gave that up and bought a cheap mini jackhammer thing that worked wonders.

Good luck.

Stephen

PS. Did you find your engine number?

hi goosey...

Like the former post said it might be rising damp to get rid of this you have to go round you house drilling holes[outside] and then hire a machine that pumps foam into the cavity....It should only take a couple of days..if that....

Removing rendering is`nt the way forwards unless it looks naff...

Mick....

Steve - not found number yet! That might have to be a job for the mechanic!

Dandaz - no cavities in my walls (as far as I know!)

I'm removing the rendering because it makes the house look grey and dull. It also seems to soak up any rain that gets onto it. Also I like the revealed stone of houses that are in the village. I'm convinced it will make a huge difference both aesthetically and practically (and make a huge dent in my bank account!)

After removing the rendering , I can't see any reason why repointing the stone would stop it 'breathing', regardless of what substance you use.

People say don't use a sand and cement mix for the same 'breathing' reason.

I believe the only reason for not using a sand & cement mix in stone is that should any movement occur in the walls then the stone would crack as opposed to the mortar, because the mortar is the stronger of the two.

Tony

De-rendering

Use of a small jack hammer has been mentioned.  Excellent machines, but can get a bit heavy after a while.  Can I suggest that it is also worth looking at using an air hammer with a compressor.  You will find that most compressors unless big commercial things will run out of puff quite fast, but I tend to clear up whilst the tank is replenishing.  The real benefit is that the air hammer is really light by comparrison and easier to use.  My neighbours wife borrowed it after I caught her using a hammer and chisel and she thought it was a wonderful piece of equipment.

Rendering can take two forms and it is important to be clear what the objective is.  If you plan to completely cover the biulding material to leave a completely smooth finish that you then plan to decorate then sand and cement is arguably easier to use. 

When wanting a random finish with stones left visible, I think that lime is first rate stuff.  As has been said it does not tend to crack like sand and cement and can be tinted to provide the desired colour so that no further decoration is required.  Mixing the stuff is hard work compared to S & C, but if you really want to cheat and don't mind paying a bit more, you can buy the stuff ready mixed to your desired colour, so that you can work on the job as and when with the colour remaining consistent.  A wall I had which had damp in it probably because the ground is too high outside now appears miraculously dry and so it sure gets my vote.

Stephen (19)

A builder friend of mine pointed out that rendering is usually put on to cover something up.

Obvious Really!

Don't assume that once you remove the rendering, that you will necessarily find pretty stonework like your neighbours. Apart from houses of the well to do, most properties were built with cheap materials which were only fit for rendering.

Rendering, a topic close to my heart!! I have an old cattage in 36 with rending that is coming off and I would like, if once removed, it looks OK to remove it and point the stones. I have the R.Melin Materiaux building materials catalogue,this company operates in the centre, is it chaux blanche I need for the pointing? they have a good website www.melin-materiaux.fr, I hope to do this early October when I have some time in France but I am not sure what to buy for this lime based pointing mix. The catalogue has the mix ratio which helps providing I buy the right stuff.

I'v just had a quote for some gutters - expensive!!!

J&M