Electrical power off

Markradland

When I returned to my property after two weeks the power was off at the main switch. I am confident that there was not a short in the house. Do these new electronic meters / switches turn themselves off if there was for example a power surge? What else could have caused it? The reason why I am concerned is that I want to use a freezer next year and need to be confident that it will not defrost in my absence.

Mark

[quote]When I returned to my property after two weeks the power was off at the main switch. I am confident that there was not a short in the house. Do these new electronic meters / switches turn themselves o...[/quote]

Unfortunately there is very little you can do.

Sometimes when the power goes off without the main trip switching off, and therefore when it is restored all functions as normal. This is usually when the EDF are working on the power and switch off large sections for maintenance.

However like a few days ago here, we had a thunderstorm about 6 am and the main EDF trip went, (usually due to either an overhead line getting struck by lightning or trees sometimes falling or touching the overhead wires).  I reset it, and by the time I had got upstairs it had tripped again. You tend to get used to this once you have lived here a while.

EDF main switches or "disjoncteurs" do not reset themselves once tripped so unless you have a friendly neighbour who can check on the property, you run the risk of having a defrosted freezer and a very unsightly mess at your next visit.

Paul 

Hi

Ours often trips during storms.

But if EDF are intending to cut power for maintenance we get a letter in advance. Last time, they quoted a date and said the cut may be between 09.00 and 18.00. In fact it was 2 minutes at 17.00.

Peter

We lost food from our fridge and freezer that we had left on for two weeks between visits when we arrived to find the electricity turned off at mains. Cursed both a cousin who stayed an extra night after we left plus our neighbour who looks after place for us as this was only the second time we had left the power on. Two nights later in a thunderstorm same thing happened, exonerated everyone but means we have to empty everything between visits.

Bob

Exactly the same as what happened to us: for the first time ever, we left power on while we went away in the caravan in summer, leaving a small amount of food in the freezer. We returned to find everything off and the food ruined, as well as the phone fried too, (we left that plugged in).

A local electrician says that the phone should ALWAYS be taken out in the event of a storm, so will be unplugged during every absence now. He also says that a "Parafoudre" will solve the power prob. They can be had for about €150, and fit in the distribution box AFTER the french main switch, but before any RCD's or circuit breakers. They can apparently be struck by up to 50,000 Amps at least 5 times, before  having to be replaced. They channel any surge direct to earth, so you do need a decent earth!

Alcazar

[quote]Exactly the same as what happened to us: for the first time ever, we left power on while we went away in the caravan in summer, leaving a small amount of food in the freezer. We returned to find every...[/quote]

If it is fitted between the EDF disjonceur and the distribution board, it will certainly prevent damage to your installation, but is unlikely to prevent the EDF one tripping out, so you are no better off in terms of maintaining a supply.

paul