Paint -lime based or limewash for interior

jan&petebooth

Does anyone know where to buy lime paint or wash in Brittany please preferably in 22 or 56 -we have a lime plastered internal wall with existing lime based paint and so do not want to paint over with a synthetic paint!

I have also read a french article on tinting wooden beams with lime washes -has anyone tried this please?

ManyThanks

Jan

If you are talking about lime washes, you can make up your own.  I have a feeling that lime based paint doesn't exist as it would go 'off'.  I will have a look in my files.

I have a 'recipe' if you need one.

All our beams and walls in the cow half of the house were painted in a lime wash to disinfect them.  Do you mean to colour the distemper and then put it on the beams or use natural white?

Thanks  to all for all these speedy replies. I think I may have the Maison & Travaux article out in France  -that's what gave me the  idea for using some sort of wash on wood. But I havn't ever worked with lime products! We want to use a white distemper on the walls, some of which are lime plaster, some modern plaster. I want to use  a colour of some sort on the sloping ceiling rafters, not the main oak beams. We also need to buy a small amount  natural lime to do a small amountof repair patching to replace some cement infill.

Does anyone know where the products are sold over in France -particularly in Brittany -we have found some UK outlets but it wouldbe useful to know of places in France too.

I would be interested in 'recipes' -presumably this allows better choiceof colour?

Thanks and best wishes

Jan Booth

That is the one David.  Do you know, I went all through the sodding magazine looking for the web site this morning.....

You buy big sacks of chaux from the builders merchants.  Big Mat for example.

I will attempt to type it out later and CUT and PASTE it!!!  That will be a laugh!  Will send it to your private mail as don't want to be boring people.

Well, I tried cutting and pasting.  Honestly.  Didn't work but watch out, it might still arrive.  RSA grade I, II and III word processing me too.

Right.

Use natural pigments and remember not to use more than 20% of the weight of the lime.

The badigeon loses 50 - 60% of its colour after drying.

Mix the coloured powder with a little water and some washing up liquid before adding to the lime mix so it blends smoothly.

Chaulage - 1 volume lime - 1 volume water.

Badigeon - 1 volume lime to 2 - 4 volumes water.  Add a liant - Caparol - 3% weight of the lime.

Lait de chaux - 1 volime lime to 10 volumes water.

Patine - 1 volume lime to 20 volumes water.

The beams were brushed clean and then a coloured badigeon with a liant was applied.  Once dry a tinted 'resine acrylique microporous' was applied.  Les Ateliers de Vérone.  You can also use lait de chaux with a liant which assures the paint sticking to the wood.....then you sand it back to show the veins.

I am going to have a try this afternoon if I can find the chaux.  I have a bit left after doing the walls.  Somewhere!.

I did a mix of five glasses of chaux, one nearly full glass of colour which was all there was in a little pot bought sometime ago - oxyde red - and ten glasses of water.

Forgot about the washing up liquid and no liant.  First problem was the chaux was 'old'.  Most didn't dissolve and there was a thick sludge at the bottom of the container.  Not faint hearted me, I slapped it on and it looks fine.  I wonder if the liant stops the colour rubbing off?  As in powder on your hands?  Not a lot.  It did fade but I don't know about 50%.

Seems to work out very cheap too.  The chaux is pennies, the colour was 4,90€ and the water nowt.  The mix I made filled perhaps half of a 2.5l container.  So, lots left!  In the brico mags, you can badigeon over base coats of acrylic paint.  In a new house, for example where the walls are placo or plastered.  I shall be experimenting.

Later I will try one glass of chaux and water for a white wash.