To braze or not to braze ?

Choochoo

Hi everyone

I am in the process of plumbing in our wood burning Rayburn and have been told that all Boiler connections, which I would normally solder , have to be Brazed to meet French regulations.

Is this true ? and if it is has anyone got any advice or tips on carrying out the brazing.

Thanks for all help

John & Sue (50)

Hi Jon & sue

Have just installed a wood burner with back boiler,it is of low pressure design ie it has a primary pumped supply to 8 rads and a secondary supply to two slave rads,

I have used soldered type connections and in certain areas plastic as per John Guest fittings.

The French system is  pressurised and if installed i would use brazing.

Ime not saying my way is correct but have taken quite a few advices on the matter and

am happy with the results.

Hope this is of assistance DJ

[quote]Hi everyone I am in the process of plumbing in our wood burning Rayburn and have been told that all Boiler connections, which I would normally solder , have to be Brazed to meet French regulations....[/quote]

Its not mandatary to braze.Only on gas pipes.If you are installing a rayburn wood/coal boiler use 1/28mm copper to iron connectors on to the 1inch threads on boiler, run the 28mm pipe installing the safety valve on the flow.if you're installing a hws cly by gravity primaries keep the lengh of run below 20ft for it to work efficiently then on to the f/e tank.To braze you need flux,rods,oxy/acetl bottles.Clean the pipe, slightly carbonising flame on torch, heat rod dip in flux and away you go Happy plumbing.A tip.Use boss white and hemp on the threads to the boiler not ptfe tape,you'lle never have a leak. 

[quote]Its not mandatary to braze.Only on gas pipes.If you are installing a rayburn wood/coal boiler use 1/28mm copper to iron connectors on to the 1inch threads on boiler, run the 28mm pipe installing the s...[/quote]

This is the first time someone who appears to know what he is talking about has said this. All the installations I have seen here (plenty) have indeed been soldered (badly, as a rule). Only brazing I have seen is in very old (50's) plumbing. Is this confusion caused by the fact that Soudre, used as a verb applies to both "soldering" (using tin/lead or aluminium) and "brazing" (using brass)?