differences between french and english plumbing?

passatman

whilst looking at pro's and con's of relocating, i wondered how similar the two are? what size copper is used, and also soil pipe etc. i assume threaded fittings won't be the same as ours are all bsp thread. 

i'm hoping uk stuff will be ok, as i work for a merchant, so very cheap

price differences between things like rads and boilers would also help, although i read on another thread boilers maybe wired up differently...

and bathroom suites!

may as well ask about everything while im here!

i also have access to building supplies, so is anything worth bringing over to save a few bob? (don't say blocks!:laugh just daft things like wall ties, screws etc??

many thanks....

There's plenty of information on the forum regarding this subject but the short answer is ' don't use UK fittings and pipework'. Pipe sizes are slightly different, hidden joints should be brazed and not soldered  - hidden screwed joints should be accessible - the prices are not unreasonable in France and 'saving a few bob' might not be the case. Like nearly everyone doing a plumbing job, it's Murphy's law that you'll have to 'nip down' to your UK source when you can't finish the job without that invaluable missing link that isn't available in France.

Don't shoot the messenger - I'm not saying that French plumbing is superior - just like everything else - 'different'.

I've brought loads of stuff from Screwfix, from Rawl plugs, to stainless screws and bolts (stainless stuff is LOADS cheaper from Screwfix), and some tools.

I've not done much plumbing yet, but did have cause to replace the main house stopcock and junction/drain off point, not the one belonging to Services des Eaux, the house one.

It was all brass fittings, and I couldn't get it apart for love nor money, so cut it out, and replaced it. Total was about €18, which I thought quite reasonable.

Bathroom suites are as cheap, with generally better choice and good quality in France, as are shower fittings/enclosures, and toilets.

Taps: UK taps are generally lower pressure, whereas France has even hot water at mains pressure, so use French taps: again, good choice, decent prices.

Alcazar

[quote]Standard copper pipe sizes are 22, 16, 14, 12, so you can leave the 15mm at home I can't find and bath taps without a shower attachment (someone help me here!!) Bring you[/quote]

Re bath + shower. Go to somewhere like Brico Depot or Leroy Merlin (I prefer LR) they do have them as I have just bought one and it matches all the other taps.

I would not normally recommend it but as you work for a plumbers merchant and presumably will be able to get your fittings on Sale or Return, I would not have a problem with plumbing in UK sizes.

The French pipes are exterior 22, interior 20, then 20 to 18.

If you buy a couple of straight 16/16 olive connectors in France and a swop one end with a the 15/15 olive conectors purchase in UK you have a start point for 15 mm thourgh out the house.