Mail order re: Farrow and Ball

Teejay

Did anyone make a note of the Farrow and Ball mail order info that somebody posted before Living France changed to the new format.  I should have written it down but forgot.

Would be grateful for the web address as then I could have the paint delivered instead of having to drive to La Rochelle.

Many thanks.

http://www.farrow-ball.com

Before anybody whinges about the carriage charges please remember that paint is not something you can just stick in the letter box; still, if you don't have a nearby stockist (also listed on the site) or frequently visit Britain, it's certainly well worth it.

Edit - having just looked at the site the 'shop' page is currently unavailable - I have informed them.

[quote]http://www.farrow-ball.com Before anybody whinges about the carriage charges please remember that paint is not something you can just stick in the letter box; still, if you don't have a nearby stock...[/quote]

Thank you W the C. Unfortunately perhaps my query was a little misleading. What I really need is a web address that somebody posted sometime back regarding delivery of F and B paint to one's home address. I had a feeling that the company involved was based in Lyon.

So far we have ordered and fetched our F and B paint from our nearest branch which is on a trading estate outside La Rochelle. If the paint could be ordered on-line and delivered to us direct we would be happy to pay carriage charges as the price of petrol to drive there plus my husband's need for lunch at twelve prompt (acquired French stomach since living here) would probably work out to be the same costwise.

I did a search for any info regarding my question on this site but it took so long to download that I gave up.

[quote]be warned ..farrow and ball mail order used to ship from the UK, making it very expensive. Not sure if they have changed recently to enable shipping from the local branches. regs Richard[/quote]

Thanks for the warning.  Good advice.

Damn, will have to drive to La Rochelle after all.  Terrible place! 

"Damn, will have to drive to La Rochelle after all.  Terrible place!  "

No need to drive to La Rochelle.

Farrow & Ball have a fairly organised system for ordering their products in France.

Go to their website - www.farrow-ball.com - choose EU as your area and then enter the on-line shop and choose France.

You can then order any paint, primers, etc from their range on-line.

There is a minimum delivery charge of 30 Euros which is not practical for a single tin and so it is probably best to plan your future requirements and do one order at the same price.

Kind regards,

Bob Clarke
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/grindoux

[quote]"Damn, will have to drive to La Rochelle after all. Terrible place! " No need to drive to La Rochelle. Farrow & Ball have a fairly organised system for ordering their products in France. Go ...[/quote]

Thank you Bobc. Have just checked to see if the 'shop' page was up and running today and it is.

Our French builder commented on the quality of their paint and promptly took down the web address. Again thanks to all who replied.

What do you think of the quality of their emulsion? I've used it before and found it really watery. A painter also commented on it's lack of quality considering the price. The dead flat oil and eggshell were both fine though and the colours are to die for so I guess you can't have everything?!!!

I love F and B paint and only use it. In my desperation paid a lot of money for one tin to be sent out. I live in Deux Serves so La Rochelle would be lovely, I thought the place there had closed. Can someone tell me where it is please. then I can combine a visit to La Rochelle with a seafood meal. Is it approx the same price, or how much more? Thanks Molly

"Just looked at website - is it that expensive in Britain?"

Dear Helen,

You a going to pay a huge price premium to have a limited market product such as F & B delivered to you in France.

For your own use you have to weigh up the desirability of the product against your budget.

For my use for clients I cost it into the project if used in relatively small quantities and accept the cost for my own work.

To answer another of your postings on a different subject - jointing terracotta tiles:

You can joint these in the normal way if you coat the tiles first:

I use:

Pierra Protection Avant Joint www.pierra.com

Available in 1L containers an brushed or rollered over the tiles before jointing ensures an easy clean-up.

Kind regards,

Bob Clarke

"What do you think of the quality of their emulsion? I've used it before and found it really watery."

Have had no problems with the quality, providing that is properly mixed and the surface prepared and primed.

Regards,

Bob Clarke