Ceiling light cable query

Linden Arden

Please be gentle with a DIY novice. I am insulating and plasterboarding the roof of the house we have bought. The roof is slate tiles laid direct onto the wooden roof timbers. I am going to tack the 7mm silver foil insulation directly onto the inside of the timbers and then screw the plasterboard to the timbers through the insulation (at least that's the plan).

As I want to run a cable for a ceiling light through the plasterboard for the bedroom (for that is what it will, at some stage, be) do I run this behind the insulation and atttach it to the roof timbers or between the insulatiojn and the plasterboard or....something else ?

Link to piccy below (kind of) gives an idea. All advice much appreciated

http://www.boomspeed.com/lindnarden/roof.jpg

The simple answer is to run it where it is most convenient and so you can get at it, if needs be.  It should be run in a plastic conduit sleeve as 3 separate wires, not 3 core twin and earth PVC cable, this will allow individual wires to be replaced easily should the need arise, this will also mean that no matter where you decide to run it it will still be replaceable without stripping the ceiling and/or insulation. 

If you are using twin and earth PVC cable, you will have to clip it somehow.  Wherever you put it, should you need to replace it, you will have to take the ceilingand/or the insulation  down to get at it,  so that should influence what you decide.

Personally I would leave French wiring to a French qualified electrician, unless you are 100% sure of what you are doing.

If your house has any age it is unlikely that you will be able to fit the plasterboard directly to the roof timbers as they will be all shapes and levels.  You will have to batten against the timbers first in order to get a flat surface to work to.

Weedon

If you are using twin and earth PVC cable

And whatever you do, don't use T&E. Cable behind plasterboard must be run in gaine and you can't use "flex" even if it is double insulated (ie not T&E) even if it is French. You could use "rigid" (as long as the colours conformed & and it was NF marked) but it would still need to be inside gaine, I suspect.

Gaine is 16mm in diameter - have you enough space without trapping the insulation against the tiles?