Disposal of building waste

KevinH

We have recently bought a cottage south of Domfront (61). We will soon start work on renovating it but are wondering where we can dispose of our building waste.

I know some of the waste can be re-used by us, but the red formica kitchen and the asbestos sheets are definetly to go.

Has anyone got any suggestions or recommend any dumps.

Thanks

Kel

Hi,

we live in the Lot (46) and we were fortunate in that 2 year ago when we started our renovation (still not finished) we had a dump that was just an open pit and you could drive up any time of day and dump anything....that is now a thing of the past and we now have modern recycling depots here, but nonetheless we are still able to go there and dump just about anything.....ours have special containers for asbestos and others for plasterboard, metal etc. If you are still driving a UK registered vehicle I would advise you to take with you some proof that you live in either the local commune or the department, we keep our attestation for the house purchase in the car, even though we are on local plates and have visited the depot on numerous occasions, the guy at the office always comes out and asks what commune we live in....but never a problem, we have been with trailer after trailer of plasterboard and stuff, never a problem, just ask locally or look out for a sign saying 'Dechetterie'

happy renovations

best regards

Dago

[quote]We have recently bought a cottage south of Domfront (61). We will soon start work on renovating it but are wondering where we can dispose of our building waste.I know some of the waste can be re-used...[/quote]

There is a very well run dechetterie in Domfront. As you descend out of the main centre towards Juvigny on the N176, there is a left fork uphill towards la Ferté Macé, and it is signposted up there on the right.  We recently reroofed a property just south of Domfront and had a huge amount of clay roof tiles to dispose of as well as other waste and took it all there. We did have to show proof of the clients residence, for it to be accepted. You would be well advised to separate it all out because they are very strict on recycling - we had to sort out individual metal crochets from a batch of slates there once!

Over the last few years decheterries have become more recycling aware and cost conscious and many now have a membership card system so that only people living within the canton can dump waste free. As a building company we have to pay an annual cotisation and then a charge per m3 for waste.

Paul

Asbestos - if in doubt ask at your mairie or dechetterie.

All our building waste is taken to local dechetterie - the man explains which bits go into which skip and if things are quiet helps to unload. Yes, I have been asked where I live even though I drive a 46 van but it may just be local interest. One of our friends though suffered the 3rd degree when he arrived in UK reg Volvo - perhaps he had driven all the way from Southport ?

An added benefit sometimes is free, help yourself compost. Our local tip in Colchester SOLD similar stuff  - GBP 2.50 for a modest bag - but luckily our bit of France seems to be a bit backward in the meney grabbing stakes.

John not

Hi

Our dechetterie at 17 is ace the guy even helped me unload the trailer[for the 7th time]of garden rubbish.....

When returning to Cornwall I told the guy at our local tip ,that sits on the gate every day...He just looked at me perplexed, I looked round at his work mates and they were looking in skips like seagulls ....

Asbestos they must be in white suit`s for a reason...

I Miss France...

Mick...