Plastic Plumbing

Marym2

Hi

Looking at the Screwfit web site I wondered if it was available in France (Kingfisher and all that) I have been searching for 'speedfix' in this forum, but no mention has come up (also tried pushfit same also). Is there the same product out there? Otherwise its down to getting out my old plumbing gear (pump up blowlamp and lead sweaters). As its much easier and quicker, done a few jobs here with it, I hope to find similar materials, if only for the temporary jobs they will be needed for.

Thanks Mary

No sign of the 'speedfit' stuff you can find in the UK, but my Brico Depot cataloge lists a full range of plastic piping in it. It's called 'PER' (with 'retigripp' fittings) and is available in 12, 16, & 20mm. It comes with the full panoply of bits and pieces to 'T', connect and reduce, and clever plastic collar-things to effect a tight bend. It's available in assorted lengths (25m to 120m) in red and blue, with and without sleeving. It's fairly thick, so it's wise to 'gauge up a notch' compared with the equivalent copper size.

Price examples: 12mm x 25m bleu inc gaine = 27E90

16mm x25m red without gaine = 15E80

All suitable for the higher pressures encountered with the French water system. I used it recently to plumb a temporary bathroom and found it easy-peasy to fit, but next time would use a larger size pipe as the shower is not quite as strong as in the other bathroom in the house (but still streets ahead of anything without a pump in the UK). I've used the 100m rolls of plastic piping (from Screwfix) in the UK and would say on balance that I think the French stuff suffers from less 'memory' i.e. you unroll and fix it and it doesn't seem to spend the next 20 years trying to roll itself up again.

There are various other brands about, I'm sure, but this is the only one I have any direct experience of.

paul

"Looking at the Screwfit web site I wondered if it was available in France (Kingfisher and all that) I have been searching for 'speedfix' in this forum, but no mention has come up (also tried pushfit same also). Is there the same product out there? Otherwise its down to getting out my old plumbing gear (pump up blowlamp and lead sweaters). As its much easier and quicker, done a few jobs here with it, I hope to find similar materials, if only for the temporary jobs they will be needed for."

The Speedfix type product is available in France from www.hep20.com.

They used to advertise in "The News"

"No sign of the 'speedfit' stuff you can find in the UK, but my Brico Depot cataloge lists a full range of plastic piping in it. It's called 'PER' (with 'retigripp' fittings) and is available in 12, 16, & 20mm. It comes with the full panoply of bits and pieces to 'T', connect and reduce, and clever plastic collar-things to effect a tight bend. It's available in assorted lengths (25m to 120m) in red and blue, with and without sleeving. It's fairly thick, so it's wise to 'gauge up a notch' compared with the equivalent copper size.

Price examples: 12mm x 25m bleu inc gaine = 27E90

16mm x25m red without gaine = 15E80"

The PER system is ideal for new plumbing installations and for extending existing ones - but not at ‘brico’ prices!

Bricomarché, Mr Bricolage and Lapeyre are all selling PER systems at vastly inflated prices - also Brico Depot by the sound of it.

12mm pre-gaine tube bought in a 100m roll should not cost more than around 40/50 centimes per metre.

Professional suppliers stock it in rolls up to 200m

The fittings sold by Bricomarché, Mr Bricolage and Lapeyre are also very overpriced and needlessly complicated. If you want to go down the route of using the PER system, find a decent professional plumbing supplier in your area. They will have all the fittings and tools to do the job at a fraction of the price of the ‘brico sheds’. You may have to make an investment in the tools to do the work but if you are plumbing a restoration project the money will be quickly saved.

If you need more advice on the PER system, then please e-mail me at the address in my profile.

Regards,

Bob Clarke

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/grindoux

Mary, also available (at our local Gedimat) is the 'push-fit' type of connector which can be used with ordinary cuivre.  The joints, 'T's and right angles a much more expensive than copper solder joints etc, (by the way they are known as 'Yorkshire fittings' in France, not to be confused with the pre-solder Yorkshire fittings in the UK!!!) but can be undone with a little plastic tool and allow some fiddling around.  I found them very handy when plumbing round the back of some existing/fixed kitchen units.

Also in Leroy Merlin in Pau I have seen some plastic plumbing which is a fawn colour and the joints are made by glue welding them together.  Can't remember what it is called, was tempted to use it but a 3 hour round trip to get that last piece which I would have been bound to have forgotten put me off somewhat.

Dig out the welding lance and give the traditional method a go...

Good luck, Steve.