Propane Gas for heating

DAVEF

I’m afraid I can’t help you with specific information.

However, I have such an external gas tank for my central heating/hot water. It holds approx 1 tonne of gas and I believe does not belong to me. I use PrimaGaz and pay them an annual subscription for the tank. It was already installed when I purchased the property so don’t know who paid for it (or who installed it), nor actually who is responsible for maintaining it. However, PrimaGaz visit every couple of months (to check if it needs topping-up) so I guess their person would probably say if something was wrong. I did have a leak from one of the 2 (required) regulators but it was small and I got a professional to fix it.

Maybe try talking to whoever you plan to purchase your gas from. Also, I believe that such gas is an expensive way to purchase energy.

We have this year installed a gas tank and just had the final approval from Qualigaz the gas inspectors in France.

We used Butagaz - contact is Alison Vickery, she is english and has been a tremendous help.

also now have a very useful contact at Qualigaz, French girl, Marie-Jo Tardiff who speaks excellent english and helped a lot with the inspection procedure.

Butagaz own our tank - which is underground in the garden.  We paid a one off rental fee and if we decide we dont want it anymore they will come and take it away and give us our money back (as if we would do that after the hard work installing it in the garden).  Our house is too big for an above ground tank.  Butagaz charge no more for the tank, they maintain and service it and we have it filled with gas when we need it.  As we dont manage to visit very often as yet we have assessed that one tank ful will last us about two years.  If you want Alison's email address please contact me and I will give it to you.

It is a long and as usual tedious procedure but with patience it is easy to complete.

hope this is helpful

Paula

Gas is hideously expensive so if you have a choice, don't choose it! Go for fioul. I used to think that was expensive but a tankful lasted most of the year and heated the hot water too.

We are with Antargaz and we filled up the tank in October and we filled it up in December again. Spent over 2,000 euros so far (and hot water is electric). We did have underfloor heating pipes on ground floor that required serious cleaning out so that (I hope) accounted for over usage, but even so!!! Soon as my in-laws leave we are turning it off and using the log fire and electric heaters.

On top of that we are locked into a 5 year contract with Antargaz and we had to pay a huge deposit on the tank. Hadn't really got a choice as it came with the house.