Renovating & Grants

Jez

Hi,

Does anybody know what grants are available.

I have a 12th century chateau, with links to the 7th crusade, how would I go about getting the building listed and apply for grants, There are 3 stone spiral staircases etc, but I need to get it re-pointed and into a good state of repair, using aritisans used to working on historical buildings.

I also heard that if the property will bring in Tourism, it will get up to a extra 25% grant ontop of the 50% available.[ Am I dreaming?]

I hope to open as a luxury B&B Later in the year,Along with a few!!!other brits]

Would anyone have the ISMH E-mail or details,

Can anyone help

K2

Jez. You should really contact the local office of l'Architecte de Bâtiments de France for help in renovation grants on what is probably a listed building. Your local mairie will not be of much use, they don't have the finance available but should be able to point you in the right direction towards finding a government body who do have some say.

A while ago the TV programme Capital (M6) did a feature on grants for historic properties in France. The thrust of their arguement was that it helped to have sound political connections, and to know the right people. The reason being that as funds were scarce, and the rules open to interpretation,  help from on high was of great importance. Best of Luck!

... and it will take a very long time! The bureaucracy is unbelievable and depending on the area and the state of disrepair, you may have restrictions placed on anything that changes the visible historic nature of the property.