Renovation and building works

rands

My husband and I are about to purchase a property for renovation near Aubusson, in the Creuse region South West France.

My husband is a builder and intends to carry out most of the work himself however we would appreciate some advice about local labour or is there anyone in the area that would be interested in some work??

Also in the long term does anyone know what the job prospects would be like for a good reliable builder?

thank you

Jo and Paul

Also in the long term does anyone know what the job prospects would be like for a good reliable builder?

Brilliant, I would have thought - considering how difficult it is to find *any* builder - especially a good one, and especially in the Creuse.

Don't forget to get properly registered and insured before working for anyone in France as a builder / tradesman.

Agree, i'd have thought a good builder would do well with British renovations etc. Word of mouth and all that should seal it. Its a very up and coming area with thousands of old properties ripe for doing up and the Limousin was featured the other day as one of the top 5 most desirable places to buy...worldwide.

We are in the Creuse (when we get over there in the hols) and our big problem is finding a builder/labourer, we don't speak much French and vice versa, we spend the first few days every trip locating sand/cement/wood etc etc, we tend to spend 9 out of 14 days working, the rest is wasted time. We'd love to be able to find a fairly local builder, either English or French who we could trust to do work, over a 4 or 5 month period at his or her leisure (as maybe a fill in project) as we're in no rush. I'm sure we're not alone in this 'problem'

Best of luck and if you do it, we'd love to view his work at your place and then.......money waiting and all that

Dave

There definitely is a need for builders etc. in the area.  Although I have not moved over permanently yet (due to relocate later this year), I already have several projects lined up for people in the area - English AND French.  Yet to finalise proper registration, and will not do any work until it is fully sorted.  The potential work has come from the staicases, flooring and woodturning that I have produced so far in the initial renovation of our place, but I believe that there is scope to have as much work as you want, obviously assuming your price, quality and reliability are good.

The availability (and price) of timber in this area is fantastic, although the quality varies considerably, but I intend to buy a few selected trees, plank them up and season them so that I can produce my own furniture etc.  Really loking forward to work and play full time.