More info on chaux please!

Whambers

Hello,

I know there is lots of really useful information about using chaux render on this forum but I couldn't find the exact answers to my questions..

We are currently renovating our attic and have rendered up the existing stone walls with a sand / lime render (great stuff). We would like to cover this with a finishing white 'plaster' using a chaux : water mix, so that we do not have to paint over that. Also, we have constructed the walls of the rooms using plasterboard (not great but hurrying for birth of baby!) and would also like to use a lime-based 'plaster' on top of this too.

We have tried various chaux / water mixes but as of yet, all have cracked and fallen off both the plasterboard and the render.

Has anyone attempted to cover both materials with a chaulage? How did you apply it? What mixes did you use?

I would be really grateful for any advice, thank you!

Anna

Cheers Nick,

The website was very useful and we've learned lots more on how best to use lime (I meant to say hydraulic lime not just chaux, sorry).

Even so, has anyone out there actually tried to use this on plasterboard?

Thanks again for all the help,

Anna

I was quite surprised to find that the French do not actually plaster over plaster board, they seal the joints as per normal and then paint it with a placoplatre sealant, it really does the trick and looks like newly finished plaster, it can then be painted if required.

French board seems much heavier per m2 than UK board and maybe that is why it does not need an additional plaster coat, when you think about it why should you plaster over plaster board.