Overground Fosse in Clay Soil - Dilemas!

Ewa

Prior to the purchase of our property we were led to believe a standard fosse septique, buried fully below ground level at an approximate quoted cost of 5800 Euros, would be how we would deal with our waste issues. Having had the ground survey by SERPA our builder has now informed us we have no option other than to have an above ground system requiring a raised surface 7m x 7m by 1m high at a minimum cost of 6800 Euros (plus taxes)! Yes we have the land, but we don't want this option - we gather from the builder that our soil has a high clay content.

Is anybody aware of any alternatives - however bizarre - we find it difficult to accept that we are not given any choices. How would we deal with this if our garden area was too small?

Please help!

Ewa

We have the same problem with clay and are in the process of installing a new 5000l fosse.

Despite paying for soil testing the 7m x 5m hole for the drainage has had the big Non! from the assainissement man as it is solid clay.

Plan B is to make this hole into a sand filter and then to drain off from there into a soakaway if they can manage to go deep enough to get past the clay. However like yours they are planning to raise the level of soil on top.

An alternative solution coud be a station d'epuration but I suspect that will be even more expensive. See www.wpl.co.uk or www.neve.fr .

Thank you both for your replies - certainly worth looking at these alternatives (get my dictionary out to translate the second site!). It does seem that the builder is pushing us down the route he wants to go (albeit backed up by the official report) so its good to have something else to show him. I think ultimately it's the fact that we've lost faith in the builder... but that's another matter!

Thanks once again.

Ewa

[quote]Prior to the purchase of our property we were led to believe a standard fosse septique, buried fully below ground level at an approximate quoted cost of 5800 Euros, would be how we would deal with our...[/quote]

When we bought our house in the Lot, the garden @7m.x 7m. was too small for a fosse septique, as well as being on a shelf of rock.

We fitted a fosse ettanche.( 3,000 litre ) As it is only used by the two of us plus the occasional visitor,( the house that is ) for three months a year it is emptied every year or so by a local farmer for about £40.

It only receives toilet waste, grey water is dispersed via a grease trap to a soakaway. 

We will use the same method next door in the litle house, now referred to as the Summer Palace as it will be only used in the height of summer.   

This time a 1,000 litre tank will be used to lessen the visual effect on the garden ( rock pile )

JohnD

We have a spare cottage ( i room up, 1 room down) at the bottom of the garden, which has never had any sort of drainage. Very very slowly we are putting it into some semblance of good order, if only to stop it falling down and crushing the neighbours sheep. I had always assumed that a conventional fosse septique would be off-limits as there is a small stream about 5m behind the cottage. However, the system that Mike's link shows looks as though it could handle this situation.

a) How much did the actual thing cost ?

b) Is there a requirement from somebody (from the mairie, whatever) to come and check effluent levels etc at regular intervals.

c) I assume that it consumes a wee bit of electricity to keep it stirred up or whatever it does ?

Has anybody any experience of using reed beds etc in France to dael with secondary effluent ?

Jim

a) How much did the actual thing cost ?  ours was 27000Ff.  it can handle just up to 25 people

b) Is there a requirement from somebody (from the mairie, whatever) to come and check effluent levels etc at regular intervals.  No

c) I assume that it consumes a wee bit of electricity to keep it stirred up or whatever it does ?

the same as a 90watt light bulb, when our 4 gites are full we have it running 24/7  but in reality you only need it to be on for 16hr per day

Mikey

Any disadvantages? Sounds too good to be true - or am I just jaundiced with this fosse issue?! Not got my French dictionary out yet to translate the site but looks very interesting - and a good alternative to the fosse septique problem.

Ewa

EWA  I can't think of any disadvantages other than if there is a power cut it don't work.  

I suppose it uses electricity is one, but unlike with a fosse septic you don't need to put any activating products in it after the first lot.

one good thing is it doesn't smell at all, another one is telling our guests the water in the gites comes from it, and of course I tell them after they've been here a few day so I know they would have drunk some or showered.

so far i'm very happy with ours, as for the cost, because it was a new concept in France for small domestic sewage plants when we got it, we got it trade price + 10%   

They do make a smaller one for 4 or 5 people.

mike

EWA  I can't think of any disadvantages other than if there is a power cut it don't work.  

I suppose it uses electricity is one, but unlike with a fosse septic you don't need to put any activating products in it after the first lot.

one good thing is it doesn't smell at all, another one is telling our guests the water in the gites comes from it, and of course I tell them after they've been here a few day so I know they would have drunk some or showered.

so far i'm very happy with ours, as for the cost, because it was a new concept in France for small domestic sewage plants when we got it, we got it trade price + 10%   

They do make a smaller one for 4 or 5 people.

mike