Dreaded Fosse Septic Question

Boxxen

Hi Everybody,

As posted under French Mortgages, my partner and I are just in the process of purchasing a property, the dreaded article of the Fosse Septic has to be answered.

The questions we asked the Estate Agent, Is the FS current with the new law, his answer was that the FS conforms, and operates via a filter, then sends via Auto Discharge into a pipe into the ground.

As I have never come across a FS other one that need emptying, is his comments normal and fair.

[quote]Hi Everybody, As posted under French Mortgages, my partner and I are just in the process of purchasing a property, the dreaded article of the Fosse Septic has to be answered. The questions we ...[/quote]

You need to ask the notaire, or the Mairie if the fosse bears a certificate conforming to the new regs. If the Mairie or Notaire have no knowledge of the certificate of conformation, then you'll probably have to re-do your fosse.

French fosses work by settling and biological reduction (bacteria) of the solids, with drainage for filtering and run-off of the water. If you are rural, your fosse needs to be ten metres from the house, have the required number of access covers, then a water filtration system ten metres from that consisting of ten metres of drainage area (stonechip filled trenches) no less than ten metres (or so) from the edge of your land.....

Don't know about your auto pipe.....! Where's it going from there?

If it's a village property, I was under the impression they were all supposed to be on the main.

My Fosse is new, conforms and cost around £2000 to put in. The certificate of conformity was submitted to the Mairie and approved. As for emptying, according to friends who've been here a while, if you start it off with the correct treatments (Eparcyl or similar) and treat it regularly, emptying is a rare, if not unheard of event (15yrs +).....

Good luck.

[quote]You need to ask the notaire, or the Mairie if the fosse bears a certificate conforming to the new regs. If the Mairie or Notaire have no knowledge of the certificate of conformation, then you'll proba...[/quote]

Just had a fosse put in. Regs in Charente : Fosse can be any distance from house but recommended  as close as possible,if more than ten metres then a Bac degreaser needs to be put in before the fosse,the soakaway must be 3 metres from your boundry except where there is an existing house when they will allow 1 metre from boundry again no minimum distance between fosse and soakaway

I would suggest a visit to the local marie and ask where the local Service assainissement is visit them with your cadastra number and they will tell you whether the fosse conforms

PS dont know how you only paid £2000 our material was almost 3000 euros