Plugs on vacuum cleaners

Supawhytes

Hello all

Have just returned from France and still recovering from the shock of vacuum cleaner prices in the SW - well Agen actually -

So - daft question - can a UK vacuum cleaner simply have the UK plug cut off and a French one wired in?? I cant believe it's that simple and on that assumption does anyone know where to get a reasonably priced Dyson in or around Agen?

Thanks

Lou

Yes, it is that simple. I was going to add that there may be problem in obtaining the bags and filters for a UK model but as you're looking at Dyson the bags don't arise and the filters, I think, will be the same (expensive that is ). If you buy in the UK you may also want to find out if the guarantee applies thoughout the EU.

Liz (29)

Lou

**presumably changing the plug would be applicable to kettles hair driers etc etc too!**

Exactly what we have done - though I did make the huge mistake of selling my nearly new upright Dyson vac before coming to France in March!! And we don't live anywhere near an Auchan!

Sue

Plugs.

It is as simple as that.

Most domestic appliances are made with double pole switches - therefore it does not matter which wire goes to which terminal in the plug. And since many appliances are sold in France with only two prongs it is clear that it does not matter which way round it is inserted into the socket.

If the appliance label shows a symbol with concentric squares this shows that it is double-insulated and so does not require an earth.

There are some appliances - heavy duty (eg cookers) or used near water (eg kettles, washing machines) where you may have to be more careful, but in general just take a pair of scissors and snip off the UK plug.

You can order spares like bags and carbon brushes etc on-line from various places in the UK. We have used

http://www.spares2go.co.uk/default.html

a few times without problem though there will be a postage charge. I would avoid the UK socket to French plug adaptors as they are not really suitable for high current devices and get a bit hot! For things with lots of UK plugs on like computer systems you can get a multi socket distribution board with surge protection in the UK and then fit one French plug on the lead feeding it from the mains.

We have found that live and neutral are not always on the same side as they are in the UK on French sockets but a neon screwdriver should tell you which way round a particular socket is wired though, as has already been said, for two wire devices this may not matter.

If you have no knowledge of electrickery then you would be advised to consult an electrician, it only takes 30mA to send you on to the next world! Remember the old saying? "It's the volts that jolt, but it's the mils that kills."................John not Jackie

Brown goods in France, good value.

White goods in France - awfully expensive. You can get cheapo "Xuang Xin" type stuff at Supermarkets, with names like Tokiwa and Proline. But they are utter crap. We are now on our 3rd Vac of the Tokiwa brand - it actually melts. Our neighbour bought a Proline Dishwasher from BUT, and it has yet to work. I noted that the Proline stuff was made in Hungary.....