Ceiling height ?

Choochoo

I had the same query when considering converting a basement storage room. Here is the reply I got from our surveyor.....

In France any part of a room that has a ceiling height of less than 1M80 is classed as non habitable other than that there is not normally a problem. If the storage room forms part of the house then you would not require any building permit, if however you wish to create external openings i.e. doors or windows then you will need to make a "Declaration de Travaux Exemptes de Permis de Construire"

Jerac

53 and Cambridgeshire

[quote]Hi Everybody Can anyone tell me the minimum ceiling height required to comply with French regs ? This is a renovation not new build, just for the new rooms in the grenier. Thanks to all. John &...[/quote]

I renovate for a living and therefore know the answer to this! 

The minimum height to comply with the Normes Confort is 2,20m. We are often asked to make ceilings higher or lower, but if the job we are doing is for a local auhthority or architect we always ensure this minimum height is adhered to.

http://www.mars.fr/confort.htm

Jerac's reply relates to what areas you take into account when submitting a planning application, and is correct that areas with ceiling heights less than 1,80m are not counted as habitable spaces.

Paul

[quote]Can you tell me please, in the case of a ceiling with lots of beams, say every 40 cm or so, does the 1m 80 height refer only to the actual ceiling or the bottom of the beams?[/quote]

I normally would take the height between the beams which is the "real" ceiling, the beams being a feature or part of the structure. However I stand to be corrected

Paul

I also want to convert the sous-sols/garage Is permission needed If the ceiling height is 2,18m after the plasterboard is fix up and will it will be classed as an habitable area at that height and would I need to inform the tax for tax d`habitation

I had an architect round to advise on my attic conversion (that I don’t need plans for – just wanted some professional advice). Not disagreeing (and I have no knowledge) but repeating what he said re room height in this department (72): For a principle room more that 9 cubic meters then min ceiling height is 2.3m but recommended is 2.5m. For non principal rooms (e.g. bathrooms, etc.) no regs.

Regards

Ian

[quote]Why don't you need permission to convert your loft? We were told we had to apply, but we wouldn't get permission anyway. I understand nothing.[/quote]

Actually me neither. Existing floor area is already more than 170 m sq. and attic is more than 20 sq m. Got an architect round to draw the plans and he said no need. Just in case, got another round who also said no need. They did say that to ask for permission when you don't need it can complicate things as regulations can be interpreted so many ways. At a recent dinner party (French people and me) it came up and they all said "no need for Permis nor Declaration".

I can only assume the architects thought that as it already has flooring (wood floor boards), windows and a sort of staircase going there that they classed it as a room already (though no plasterboard, tiles, rafters, etc. all fully exposed. I do want to put in some Velux windows as well for which I will need a "Declaration".

I was still unsure and thought I might raise it with one Mairie (my house sits across the border of two communes).

why were you told you would not get permission and who buy. I'm afraid I'm no expert so cannot contradict what they said. I have heard that there is a maximum floor area for a house based on land area the house is on. Is that a limit for you ?

Regards

Ian

We applied to extend our balcony and had that turned down as it took us over the m² habitable for the amount of land we have. We then put in reduced plans and they were accepted and were told that that was it.

I asked about the loft as, after all, it is already there and was told that if we wanted to do it we would have to apply, but as we had already reached our limit then we wouldn't get it anyway.

Which still leaves me feeling confused about the whole thing.

[quote]We applied to extend our balcony and had that turned down as it took us over the m² habitable for the amount of land we have. We then put in reduced plans and they were accepted and were told that tha...[/quote]

The rules (as others have explained to me) would seem to suggest I should apply. However, the local opinion (including professionals) is that there is no need as I’m not changing the external appearance. One of the architects did say that there is a lot of variation in how the rules are interpreted across France (not the rules but the interpretation).

I agree as it confuses me as well (and worries me a bit for my attic "non-conversion").

Regards

Ian