Building delay=the "Wrong kind of grass"

Monika

The Builders should have started on the renovation of our barn and small extension back in April, but due to heavy downpours etc. they still have not started yet. Yesterday we had a phone call from our project manager telling us that they wanted to start last monday but could not because our lawn in the mean time was waist high (ok, it's not exactly of lawn but more of wild flower meadow quality). So they had to get somebody to come and mow the grass today, so they can start on Monday. This sounds a bit like the "wrong kind of grass" excuse!! What do the experts think?

I'm not an expert, but am awaiting the start of some work to my property in 89 too. We visited last week and found the grass was waist high. I could see how it might have delayed the start of work had we not visited in time. We had a site meeting and I made sure that the grass was well mown before I left. I also told the project manager that they were welcome to cut a swathe through using our tractor if they had any difficulties and gave him the keys since I won't be back for 5 weeks and the work is taking place during this period. So to be fair, it could have caused a delay. We were very careful not to park the car over the long grass because of the potential danger of fire.

I'm not sure where you live, but here in the Vendee the combination of heavy rain and hot sunny weather causes explosive growth of everything, especially during the Spring months. As a gardener, I regularly get panicked phone calls when holiday home owners arrive to find the garden that they had left neatly trimmed in Spetember has suddenly turned into a Vietnamese jungle! I can imagine the average French builder not being very happy when having to wade through this.

We had the same problem - it is a genuine health and safety issue. Even when beaten flat the long grass constitutes a trip hazard and so must be cleared before builders start walking about with heavy or dangerous burdens.

Long grass a health and safety issue... whaaaat????????????

Thank you. I’m having a trying afternoon (my OE inbox has gone AWOL which is causing me some problems) and this thread has so cheered me up.

We’re in the middle of a renovation project. We stand goggle-eyed as we watch the succession of “questionable” work practices unfold before us. It would take a side of A4 to catalogue what we’ve seen. And yes, our builders (French) are completely legal and insured.

Most of the power tools are lacking in any form of safety guard; the ladders get fastened to the ancient, rotten roof beams with string; sheets of corrugated iron are removed from the roof by one worker on a very windy day (we made an excuse and left); we’re on a serious slope and the Matbro all terrain fork-lift thingy has brake problems; when our fosse was being installed, the sand for the filter – in the large ½ ton+ bags – was suspended on a digger… while a worker stood in the trench beneath the bag… can you hear me getting all shrill here? Then safety hats… steel toecap boots… yeah, right!

I am sure the long grass thing *is* a real safety issue – I’m just amazed and impressed that a French artisan thinks so!