replace/move fuse box and electric metre

tinaw

I’ve just read an article in this month’s FPN where the person renovating their house says, “it is now policy in France that electric meters cannot be left in a bedroom. The electricity board would move everything and replace it at their expense” and in his case they did move and replace his electric metre and fuse box. 

We are planning to convert our garage into a bedroom. This is where our metre and fuse box are and we were just going to get them boxed in. The equipment is old and we would like to get it updated to a modern fuse box anyway.

Does anyone have any experience of this? Would it matter to EDF if the room were not originally a bedroom when the equipment was installed?

We are in Haute Vienne (87) I don’t know if department makes a difference or not?

Tina

Not sure about this. The current rules NF C 15 100 require the meter and fuse box (compteur et tableau de repartition sur le GTL) to be reasonably accessible near the main entrance. Certainly they don't like the stuff being in say a built-in garage unless there is direct access from inside the house. They also don't like them being in kitchen or (pretty dam' obvious) in a bathroom, but othwise it seems fairly open.

If its just a partial renovation (mise en securite) I don't thnk there is any obligation to move the meter and tableau.

Anybody have anything to add on this one ?

Jim (50 et Oxfordshire)