alternative electricity

woodville

Hi

We are in the process of buying a house in France that doesn't have electricity or mains water. It is half a mile from the nearest village. It does have well water. We are thinking of having a wind turbine, solar power and a back up generator but so far efforts to find good information on the internet haven't been good. We can find the information but are confused as to what system would be suitable. Is anyone out there using alternative energy as opposed to being on the mains?

Can anyone help please?

Thank you

Firstly, I’m not an expert to take stuff I write is comment and my (limited) experience rather than fact.

I have been seeking environmentally friendly energy use in my old watermill for a year and a half and have to date made little actual progress. I first investigated micro-hydro (which seemed a sensible plan). However, the 4.5 Kw potential was fine except that a suitable turbine would have to be sourced from Canada and all European models were not appropriate for volumes/drop, etc. which would be expensive and difficult (maintenance, etc.)

I then got an architect expert in environmentally friendly energy round and got some helpful, some less helpful advice. Many people say that solar (Loir region) is no good as not enough sun, etc. whereas others say fine. Heating, with a wood burning boiler seemed a good plan but seems there are only 5 in the department and the estimated cost of a boiler was €15000 to €21000.

Anyway, I guess from your perspective one aspect would be how you would store the energy and the impact on your life should you “run short” (e.g. no wind and little sun for a week plus, etc.). Cost of running a generator could be quite high (also the generator itself might be expensive in relation to the cost of EDF for a half mile run).

One thing in France is that if you “over generate” your own electricity, EDF are obliged to buy it off you i.e. you take from the EDF when you need more than you generate and supply to EDF when you have surplus. EDF apparently don’t pay very much for your power (but it all helps – both environmentally and financially).

One web site that might help is http://www.ademe.fr/ (who seem to be a bit like the UK environment agency. Their web site does have some English language parts. They seem to have quite a lot about environmentally friendly energy use and generation. They also deal with the subsidies available for such things (the subsidies are documented on their web site, together will ballpark costs, etc.). they are organised in regional offices and certainly when I have called my local one they are very friendly and helpful. They put me in contact with the departmental expert for micro-hydro who offered to visit, etc. (all for free).

Not a lot of help (in so much text) – sorry.

Regards

Ian

Hi,

I have mentioned this before, but if you want to find out about solar power, look to a local market! Our local Wednesday market at Piegut Pluviers often has the local solar salesman attending with all the information/brochures you need - I think solar is a good idea and we are beginning to look into that.

Keni, (female)

We have been on solar and generators for 3 years now and about to go onto electricity, see other posting about CONSUEL.  I think I wish I had stayed with solar......  we bought a 100kw panel from Germany, regulator and two deep drain leisure batteries from a camping supplier.  This runs enough lighting for our barn, including a light bright enough to read by at night, a small cool box, a cd cassett radio, and charges my old laptop whigh has only one battery.  For the charger I needed a converter to 240v.  It makes me good to have no electricity bills, although the diesel is an expense and not too 'green'.

Have you been turned down for electricity and are there no plans to bring the town line down to you?  If so you may have a case for EDF to install solar power free for you.  The system remains the property of EDF and you will get normal electricity bills. A friend is just going through this process, her mairie will not let her have the phone or electricity as the community does not want any more pylons.  There is some local politics involved of course, as they are also trying to discourage or make life difficult for 'tourists' in remote properties.  She, however, has come to live here with her 13 year old daughter and no partner, and is now a bit annoyed by the decision.  The estate agent had said the property would be connected, so too had the previous owner.  Anyway I am off topic now....if you have an estimate for the installation of electricity which is prohibitive, her bill is 64,000 euros (!), then you shoulw take this to your local alternative power agent.  I have no better name for them I am afraid but the town hall will probably put you in touch with someone.  The process is not quick, some here have waited 2 years to be connected but the panels have worked very well.

Do you have a fast flowing river on your property? An in-river water turbine could be possible.  Do visit C.A.T. in Machllenllth we were really inspired. Sorry about spelling, it is near Aberystwyth.

• 1 month later...
Many thanks to all that replied.

The electricity company won't even give an estimate as the property is too far away from the town, but they estimate around 50,000€. They won't let us have a wind turbine as they say it's illegal to generate power in this way. Although they have said we can have solar panels.