'Partly Renovated'

Babnik

Constantly, especially if it is a previously brit-owned property we are visiting to quote for the work to be re-done properly. Some are incredibly dangerous and its a wonder they havn't either exploded or gone up in flames with the poor DIY done.Everything has to come out and be started from scratch or we don't touch it as the insurance and guarantee may be void in the even of a claim. This is the problem of people coming here, saving a few bob doing renovations themselves of which they have no idea is correct or not and then selling the property on to unsuspecting buyers who trust everything they are told.

It is not just the Brits. Saw two German renovated properties where they had paid to have work done professionally and had ended up with CdE in the most convenient place for the plumber with pipes curving round the walls and what was potentially a light airy cottage tuned into breeze block bomb shelter. French partially renovated place we have purchased has too many things done the easiest way rather than the best way.

Previous owner of our house is Portuguese...so it's any nationality really! What I don't understand is how some people do things when they clearly have no idea what they are doing! When I want to do something, I read and read and ask and ask, and only if I'm 100% sure of what I'm doing do I start...if not, better to get someone in. It may be more expensive, but in the end, it will turn out cheaper!!