friends and family helping with renovation

stevemaison

As far as enyone over there is concerened, they (the buiders) are just our friends, who (if anyone ask's) are doing us a favour

They are installing the central heating, plumbing and wiring to the current French codes.

I dont think any of the neighbours would cause a problem (we get on with them all OK) but it's a bit late to stop them now as they are half way through the work !!!

The loft "convertion" is adding bedrooms to a space which was already habitable.

As for a visit by the police, we are out in the sticks, and havnt seen any at all (yet).

It's not that we intend to break any laws, just that we didnt know about them in the first place.

Keeping my fingers crossed........

So, should I assume that I should be checking whether our caretaker/changeover couple have a SIRET number.  What happens if they don't have a SIRET number?  If when they are at our house, mowing the lawn or changing the beds etc, they have an accident - who would be responsible? 

Am I safe in that I have employed them on the basis that they have the relevant documentation in france and if they don't it is their liability rather than mine?

Thanks

Fiona

If you employ and pay them through the Cheque Emploi system you are in the clear.

If they are working as contractors  then status will be clear from whatever quotes and invoices they give to you.

If you are just paying cash then you could be liable for any accident on your premises, etc etc.

Its for you to evaluate the chance of getting caught.

They do provide me with invoices, but the majority of the time we do pay them in cash...

We have public liability insurance so would we be covered under this?  Or would it be void as we are paying for a service?

[quote]They do provide me with invoices, but the majority of the time we do pay them in cash... We have public liability insurance so would we be covered under this? Or would it be void as we are paying fo...[/quote]

Do these invoices have SIRET numbers? By law, they must have. If they ain't, they ain't registered or very stupid (or dense, or ignorant).

No, your PL insurance won't cover you. It's not a matter of being voided, it is a matter of cover - it isn't possible to cover yourself (or others) for illegal activities.

But, if they are good and cheap, who cares? If they are bad & expensive, chuck 'em & get someone legal!

hi the pieces of paper are called "invoices" but this is a very loose description!  and are they good & cheap - not entirely sure - am still investigating their rates in comparison with others.

but on a completely different thread it does not seem to be the easiest task to find someone relatively local & reasonably priced to provide the changeover/gardening/caretaker type services! particularly when we are remotely located....