Tout a l'egout

Opalienne

Does anyone know the situation regarding the arrival of mains drainage?   According to the wife of the mayor of the next village (where they have it) it will be obligatory all over France from 2006.   According to our mayor, no such thing!   We would really like to know what the situation is.   I have looked on the French government website, but couldn't find anything except something on how much individuals are required to pay towards being linked up.   Thanks in advance for any information

According to this http://www.leroymerlin.fr/mpng2-front/pre?zone=zonecatalogue&idLSPub=1051634952&chapitre=2, the neighbouring Maire is right if the town has over 2000 inhabitants...

My mum's house has just had the tout-à-l'égout installed in the street... (so as my prospective house as it's the one next door!)

You have 2 years to have your connection installed once it is made available to you. The town arranges for a company to come and quote for it. When they do this, they also must dispose of the existing fosse.

Everywhere is supposed to have modern drainage facilities in place by 2006, by law. In practice it isn't going to happen.

However putting aside the detail, rural communities are never going to install mains drainage to all properties. So mains drainage will be extended wherever feasible, but outside the hub of the communes the emphasis is on modern, clean individual systems. That is why the law brings in a system of inspections, to see whether the existing system is adequate, and after that regular checks to see that it is being maintained and the waste products are being disposed of in a legal manner.

You need to ask at the Mairie, what the plans are for your property, and the name of the body who is in charge of drainage, especially who is responsible for the inspections,  in your area.

Thanks, but can you point me in the direction of the law?   As I said, I have already asked at the Mairie and been told that our village will not have it.  We don't have anything like 2000 inhabitants, BTW, but neither does the neighbouring village, and it's not particularly spread out here so wouldn't be too difficult to install for everyone.

This is how my commune(11) is playing it:

- Everyone inside the village must be connected to the mains drainage system

- Everyone outside the village but in the commune needs a properly inspected fosse. Grants were available.

- Connection for permanent residents is paid for from the land boundary (ie except the last few metres)

- Holiday home owners, or those who outside the village who want to connect, need to pay from the egout itself

- Contractor will give good rates on the connection when the time cones

I think this gives a thorough rundown of how things are to be organised in terms of the law of the 3rd of January 1992 which governs the French implemenation of the EU directives. 

http://cartel.oieau.fr/fmenu3.htm

I think Hegs description of their local implementation is virtually identical to my original generic interpretation.

So as I said you need to find out who is in charge of your local plans. If the Mairie won't tell you, try TU's advice and ask the local DDE, it almost certainly won't be them, but equallycertainly they will know who is running this particular show.