Plan Cadastre

Teamedup

I have just been to the Mairie to check on something pertaining to our little estate.

The plan cadastre was completely out of date. Three important things were wrong on it. I hadn't the time to check on anything else.

So IF you are buying somewhere and go to your Mairie to see what is what pertaining to where you are going to buy, please do not depend on that information being in any way correct. I think that what got me was that a parcel of land opposite our house had been sold at least 10 years ago and that is still under the name of the previous owner.And the land in question has had work done on it without a by your leave ie planning permission of any sort.

Each time we have viewed with the intention of buying a property in France, we have always made a point of visiting the Mairie to see the land plans. Seems it pays to ask the Immo for the cadastre numbers as on several  occasions we have been given totally incorrect information.  "The land goes right down to that row of trees etc, and the farmer brings his cows past your front door twice a day as he has right of access " You should also be able to check on any local developments and changes to roads etc. Weel worth going out of your way to do this as it can save headaches and disappointments later.

Regards. 5 mins St.Malo.

Yes, it's always a good idea to check for yourself - don't rely on the notaire getting it right.

A copy of the plan should be included with the compromis de vente, so you know exactly what you are signing up to buy. But as these plans are usually very small and could be out of date, it's not a bad idea to check it against the larger-scale originals.

My point was that the plans of our estate and it's surroundings were wrong. I can't help wondering where the notaires get their copies of the plans from. Thinking about it, I had already told the Mairie about one of these errors years ago and yet nothing has been done about it. I don't know whether our Mairie is exceptional in being so inefficient, but I don't think I would trust what they were showing me in future.

My experience is that agents or notaires may just dig out a plan they had on file from last time the house was sold, otherwise they will get them from the mairie, the seller, or any other source. So there is little guarantee that the plan is right, my point being that people would be well advised to check the plan received with the compromis against the masters, or better still what is actually on the ground, as far as they can, and query it before signing if there are any obvious errors. Of course, if a geometre is involved because boundaries have to be established, you will get a correct and current plan, though I still wouldn't necessarily trust what notaires send out.

Mairies can be equally lax, and I don't think TU's is at all unusual in not being very efficient. I bet many people have cadastral plans for their houses that have been out of date for years and nobody has noticed. I don't know where the real, reliable, master copies would be kept - I know the mairie should have current ones, but it seems many don't. Maybe the DDE?

[quote user="Will "]

Mairies can be equally lax, and I don't think TU's is at all unusual in not being very efficient. I bet many people have cadastral plans for their houses that have been out of date for years and nobody has noticed. I don't know where the real, reliable, master copies would be kept - I know the mairie should have current ones, but it seems many don't. Maybe the DDE?

[/quote]

If anyone wants an up-to-date or a larger scale plan cadastral they should go to their local Hôtel Des Impôts office.

We had the Geometre come last week and mark out the land we are buying from our neighbour. As the neighbour is also selling his house and another barn he / we needed to be certain of exactly where the boundaries will be. The Geometre is redrawing the Plan and renumbering as the parcelles have been divided so many times.

On a Eurostar train journey some years ago the passenger next to me told me about a really scary land transaction. She and family had bought land in France from an English neighbour (obviously strapped for cash) and at his suggestion they just move the red markers and all 4 people concerned signed a piece of paper, no hint of a Geometre at all! Heaven help them when they decide to sell!