Advice needed re concrete sceed

Redcap

Bonsoir Tout le monde!

Well, it's been a long time since I've posted on LF! We've been here a year now, I have looked in now and then, but to be honest we have been so busy, I really didn't think it would be such hard work! And we're not renovating!!  By the way, title should read screed not sceed!!

I'm having problems with a terrace above garage, the garage was built by previous owner, attached to rear of house.  The terrace had been concreted over, but sadly the owner died and it's been left to deteriorate for almost 10 years.  I want to tile the terrace, but it needs some sort of screed first to level out all the 'pock-marked holes'.  I know there is a product called Enduit Sol Auto-Lissant (self smoothing), this is very expensive (like self-levelling), and is really only for up to 10mm.  I need to bring the floor up to the level of the front terrace in order to tile all around, this will be a depth of about 25-30mm (1" - 1 1/4").

My question is, can I lay a concrete screed at this thickness?  The floor is solid, unlike one at ground level on a rubble/ballast/sand base, and is only for foot traffic.  All my DIY books mention are concrete bases for path, drives etc with at least 4" thickness. Any advice as usual, greatfully received.

Regards,

Bob (22)

Thanks for the advice dave, I posted this on a number of forums, very little response, must say I'm surprised considering the number of people here with building skills.  Same on the www.pavingexpert.com forum, I did expect some good advice there but not a bean!!  actually that is a fantastic site, don't know if it's been reccommended on LF well worth a look if you are renovating, or not.

Regards,

Bob

Dave is right, don't bother with the compound. I used it once and made an expensive hash of it.

Use a damp screed mix of sharp sand/cement at a ratio of 3:1. Tamp it down well to your levelled battens and around inch and a half thick. Should do the job. Might be worth priming the existing floor first with a mix of cement grout and a bonding agent as well.

Leave it to cure for at least a week before you walk on it!

Cheers

I (or rather my builders) used a self levelling compound when I was renovating my (then) house in the UK. After 13 years the compound had started to bubble (e.g. 6inch diam “bubbles”) and crack in places. This was not a problem as it was only being used to level and not block damp and was under a carpet. I could only see the bubbles/cracks in a cupboard. Cracks were probably bubbles that had something put on them and thus broke the compound. The bubbling did not start of at least 7 years after the stuff was laid.

Ian

Just a bit of emphasis really. Whem Bannon says a damp mix he really does mean just barely damp.

Secondly I think you will find that it absolutely essential that you use some suitable bonding agent on the concrete or scarify the surface with an angle grinder or even do both. Otherwise your screed just will not stick.

bj

Hi again,

We are intending to use a bonding agent, it is available in france, you can get stuff to add to the mix to improve adhesion, and also for priming/sealing.  The present concrete base is very rough! I don't think we'll have any problems with it sticking, once, as advised we use a good bonding agent.

So we are looking at a 'damp' mix as opposed to a nice slurry?  Again, thanks for all the advice.

Regards,

Bob